ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Passive Wedges - what good ones are out there?  (Read 4640 times)

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
Passive Wedges - what good ones are out there?
« on: January 23, 2023, 11:38:43 AM »

I've been out of the market for a bunch of years and back then the SRX712m was the go to wedge for the "B-Level" acts.  When I jumped back in, I picked up some powered wedges... While do I like powered wedges, I hate running twice the cables and trying to figure out power drops & extension cords and it then take twice as long to set-up/tear-down.

Before we get into the what is/isn't "rider friendly" debate; the riders I need to fill will state "we need ## monitor mixes with ## wedges".  We're talking the SL100 B-Stage, when the main stage has the SL260/SL320.

So, is there anything out there equivalent to the SRX712M on the market? 
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: Passive Wedges - what good ones are out there?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 12:07:47 PM »

While I had an inventory of SRX712s for general purpose use I made a point of renting d&b M4s for high end work. Before the plague changed everything I was working on replacing all my 712s with wedges using a B&C 14" Coax. Yamaha now makes a single 12 coax that may be worth looking into for bar band type work. Coaxs solve a lot of GBF and intelligibility issues when the listener is within a few feet of the speaker. If you have serious budget Martin makes wedges similar to the M4s.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 12:12:07 PM by Riley Casey »

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 12:20:12 PM »

I'm still using SRX 712ms. Even when I do see riders nobody turns them down.

Lev Raber

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 12:49:38 PM »

I've been out of the market for a bunch of years and back then the SRX712m was the go to wedge for the "B-Level" acts.  When I jumped back in, I picked up some powered wedges... While do I like powered wedges, I hate running twice the cables and trying to figure out power drops & extension cords and it then take twice as long to set-up/tear-down.

Before we get into the what is/isn't "rider friendly" debate; the riders I need to fill will state "we need ## monitor mixes with ## wedges".  We're talking the SL100 B-Stage, when the main stage has the SL260/SL320.

So, is there anything out there equivalent to the SRX712M on the market?

Hey Matt, I'm using passive wedges and don't like powered for the same reason you're. Although, I keep active mons in my truck in case something unexpected happened and I need a last minute extra mon mix without looking for an extra amp channel, etc.
My go to wedge is SRX712M and I have many. Your main consideration (if you plan to invest in passive mons) would be what particular usage you plan for them, price, full range or bi-amp, etc.
I also have some old Yorkville TX2M and TX5M wedges, they're bi-amp only, sound decent and served me well through the years.
The only rule I have is "no small diaphragm HF drivers".
There are some good (expensive and not so) choices out there, like offerings for EAW, Martin, Turbosound, JBL etc. and plenty used ones available for reasonable price, because almost everyone's using powered nowdays.
As far as I can remember, there is no direct equivalent to SRX712M, an old EAW LA 212 comes to mind, but it's long time discontinued.
Anyway, look around and good luck.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 12:55:15 PM »

We were in a similar position last summer, looking for a good "budget" option as we've got d&b Max2s for the more discerning acts, and we needed something more pro than the typical plastic powered speaker. I also wanted to keep things un-powered.

I couldn't find anything out there with the trifecta price/size/performance ratio of the 712M, and we already had some amps suitable for them, and last generation's dsp-enabled amps can be found pretty cheap these days, so I bought a dozen from Riley when he was selling.

They went to work immediately and have been a solid purchase. Thanks, Riley!

Mike Santarelli

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 01:13:06 PM »

I have been hearing good things on the FBT Ventis 112m.  I do not have any personal experience but tempted to audition one.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2023, 01:22:03 PM »

Hey Matt, I'm using passive wedges and don't like powered for the same reason you're. Although, I keep active mons in my truck in case something unexpected happened and I need a last minute extra mon mix without looking for an extra amp channel, etc.
My go to wedge is SRX712M and I have many. Your main consideration (if you plan to invest in passive mons) would be what particular usage you plan for them, price, full range or bi-amp, etc.
I also have some old Yorkville TX2M and TX5M wedges, they're bi-amp only, sound decent and served me well through the years.
The only rule I have is "no small diaphragm HF drivers".
There are some good (expensive and not so) choices out there, like offerings for EAW, Martin, Turbosound, JBL etc. and plenty used ones available for reasonable price, because almost everyone's using powered nowdays.
As far as I can remember, there is no direct equivalent to SRX712M, an old EAW LA 212 comes to mind, but it's long time discontinued.
Anyway, look around and good luck.
I too want large-format HF and it appears that there isn't anything in the "buy from Sweetwater (or equiv)" category that the 712 used to be in.   
Is the current 812 not an option?  (I'll admit it isn't pretty in wedge mode but it's more than capable)  Other than that the VTX-F-series looks similar but in a bit more "wedge-friendly appearance". 
There's also the VRX wedge but it's a 15"   
The VTX-m is a good wedge but no single-12 version and would require considerable budget. 
EV has a passive 12" coax that looks good but I haven't heard it yet -although it does have large-format HF. 

Other than that you would have to step-up to the L'acoustics, d&b, Nexo, Martin, EAW, Adamson, Fulcrum and many others.  (Believe it or not, RCF doesn't seem to offer a passive anymore.)

I bought "used" for my main rig and have a c-rig of custom-built.

One other option is to get "powered-speaker type" cable that has power and audio combined and make your rack patch-panels have both together for each mix output.  The cables run and wrap similar to speakon and allows you to deploy in a very similar way to passive rigs.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2023, 01:22:26 PM »

Slight argument for RCF NX SMA powered coax floor mons.  I daisy chain via the powercon fittings included.  Also made some split-offs to drop power at the mons for pedals etc.  So one string of power across the stage does mons and drops.
I think the total number of cables is the same as passive by the time you're done.
Plus they sound and look great.  The 10s and 12s have the same profile.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 01:24:28 PM by Dave Garoutte »
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2023, 01:43:07 PM »

RCF also has the ST series which are just monitors.

https://www.rcf.it/en/products/by-family/details/-/of/serie/ST+SERIES/6/66

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2023, 02:49:08 PM »

I agree with using passive wedges on stage whenever possible.  Much less troubleshooting headaches to make sure they are working, although some of the new networked devices offer some unique remote control and monitoring options. But, that means yet ANOTHER cable that needs to be run to the speakers.

Running a strip of power across the stage is great, until you suddenly need to move that speaker.  Now you've got to find a new power source and it takes significantly longer to reset vs grabbing a speakon extension and moving to a new location.

Someday maybe someone will come up with a standard that allows a simple single connection speaker system that allows one cord to connect and go through that would include audio, data and power.  Then maybe I'll change my mind.

Until then, the SRX712m is my go to favorite.  There's simply nothing like it out there.  Everything that can keep up is bigger and heavier or stupid expensive.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2023, 02:49:08 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.