Church and H.O.W. – Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound

Direct Boxes not working through Snake to SQ7

(1/5) > >>

Nathan West:
I've got something puzzling - we have an Sq7 - we have snake that runs to the Pulpit are various areas around -
I plug in a Radial Direct Box  to any channel on the snake and it doesn't work - I plug the same box into the Mixer
directly and it works.

I tried 5 direct boxes - 3 Radials (passive) and 2 Behringers (passive) and none worked. I tried a Whirlwind EDB-1 Direct Box and it works.

I'm mystified.

John Roberts {JR}:
check for pin one continuity...

JR

Nathan West:

--- Quote from: John Roberts {JR} on January 21, 2023, 02:17:37 PM ---check for pin one continuity...

--- End quote ---

It wouldn't work at the board if that was the case - and a microphone plugged into the XLR works fine - not to mention 5 commonly used Direct Boxes and 6th one worked.
I'm telling you - this has me puzzeled.

Mike Caldwell:
I actually like puzzles like this!

Same cable for all the testing, even with the mic?
What model are the other DI's?
I assume the snake is a multipair copper analog all the way back to the board.

Funny that the very budget Whirlwind did work!

Pin one shouldn't matter on a passive DI provided the cable is wired correctly.

Ike Zimbel:

--- Quote from: Nathan West on January 21, 2023, 01:14:45 PM ---I've got something puzzling - we have an Sq7 - we have snake that runs to the Pulpit are various areas around -
I plug in a Radial Direct Box  to any channel on the snake and it doesn't work - I plug the same box into the Mixer
directly and it works.

I tried 5 direct boxes - 3 Radials (passive) and 2 Behringers (passive) and none worked. I tried a Whirlwind EDB-1 Direct Box and it works.

I'm mystified.

--- End quote ---
A few questions:
1) New snake, or been in the hall for years?
2) Commercially made snake, or wired by a congregation member with an EE?
3) Do/have microphones worked on this snake in the past?
3a) If "yes", dynamic, condenser, or both?
4) Does "doesn't work" mean no sound, or weak and "thin" sound?
5) What was your test signal for the DI's?
6) Is the snake XLR-XLR, or one of those newfangled analog audio over RJ45 breakout dealies?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version