Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Polyurea speaker finishes, making them look good again

(1/3) > >>

Christopher Greco:
I am wondering if anyone has had luck with a method to breathe new life into older textured polyurea finishes on speaker cabinets.

Kevin Maxwell:
I was visiting at a sound company once and at that time they had a fellow spray painting the stripped speaker cabinets with what I think was polyurethane. I don’t remember if he was doing it outdoors or in a spray booth. I think it had all of the components removed and it was taken down to bare wood. He was wearing a respirator. That stuff is not good to get exposed to. The speakers looked great when they were done.

At another sound company that had repainted their cabinets they did a show right after repainting them and someone asked them if they were new at this. Since it looked like they had all new speakers. I don’t think they ever did a repaint after that.

Matt Vivlamore:
I know a lot of guys are using a paint roller and duratex... clean them really well and then paint over the existing paint.

Jim McKeveny:

--- Quote from: Christopher Greco on January 21, 2023, 09:18:41 AM ---I am wondering if anyone has had luck with a method to breathe new life into older textured polyurea finishes on speaker cabinets.

--- End quote ---

There is no small-batch way to reasonably renew a textured polyurea cabinet.   I've had some client cabs through here that are really beat-up and I spray them with a spatter coat of SW Polane 700t (which was a factory finish for Meyer, EAW, etc). It is an improvement, "better", but it is only a good-enough v. factory polyurea.

Dave Scarlett:
I just did a few cabinets with a looped roller and this stuff:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Granotone-Speaker-Paint-Black-1-Gallon-Texture-Coating-for-Speaker-Cabinets-Road-Cases-Metal-Furniture-Roller-Application-Water-Based/1722094651

I had to go over them by hand when dry with some 80 grit to take off a few sharp points, but they came out nice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version