ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 rack question..  (Read 1170 times)

Al Rettich

X32 rack question..
« on: January 20, 2023, 01:27:05 PM »

Hoping someone might be able to clarify something for me.

Trying to design something.
Utilizing a X32 Rack. The eight xlr outputs will be sent out to IEM’s. I have one more location that I’m trying to get audio to, so I had the idea. Can I take a single PM16 out of the X32 Rack bypass the distro box, and take it out of the x32 directly to the pm16. I’ve been told no, that the distro box provides power for the unit, but surely they have a wall plug yes? TIA

Douglas R. Allen

Re: X32 rack question..
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 02:08:11 PM »

Utilizing a X32 Rack. The eight xlr outputs will be sent out to IEM’s. I have one more location that I’m trying to get audio to, so I had the idea. Can I take a single PM16 out of the X32 Rack bypass the distro box, and take it out of the x32 directly to the pm16. I’ve been told no, that the distro box provides power for the unit, but surely they have a wall plug yes? TIA

The X32rack has 8 XLR and 6 1/4 inch outputs. The 6 - 1/4 inch outputs, although they have slightly less peak output voltage will easily drive speakers, IEM etc. So, you have 14 total outputs to mix and match as you need. Just patch as needed and use a 1/4 balanced to XLR balanced adaptor as an example to do what you need.

Douglas R. Allen

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 02:49:17 PM »

Are you talking about an EliteCore PM16? Or a Behringer P16-M?

Assuming you're talking about the P16-M, I've never tried it, but I don't see why you couldn't plug one directly into the Ultranet output of the X32R. You're right that you'd have to use a wall wart to power it, but that's not unusual; the cheaper model of the distro box doesn't power them either, and if you daisy chain them with either distro, you'd also have to use a wall wart.

Nick Andrews

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 07:32:53 PM »

The routers provide data + poe for power.

But you can of course just patch a cat 5 to the ultranet port of the x32rack and go direct to a p16m BUT you will need to use the p16m 12v power supply that come with unit when doing it this way.

I've done this many times !

Nick-

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 10:34:47 AM »

For the Cat5 cable runs the P16 manual says to use shielded cable. The Ultranet jacks don't use the Ethercons on the X32Rack or the P16s.

doug johnson2

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 06:07:43 PM »

As said if you are just looking for another output, you can use one of the 1/4-inch aux outs.  The other option if you need more outs would be a Klark Teknik Dm8008.  This will give you 8 more outputs using Ultranet. https://www.klarkteknik.com/product.html?modelCode=P0DC6

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 05:03:53 PM »

{...} The other option if you need more outs would be a Klark Teknik Dm8008.  This will give you 8 more outputs using Ultranet. https://www.klarkteknik.com/product.html?modelCode=P0DC6

This just seems...strange to me. What is the market for this product supposed to be? Especially given that a Behringer 8x8 AES50 stagebox is about US$100 cheaper?

-Russ

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 03:23:01 PM »

This just seems...strange to me. What is the market for this product supposed to be? Especially given that a Behringer 8x8 AES50 stagebox is about US$100 cheaper?

-Russ

I think Ultranet was really original seen as an "outputs" protocol that would see widespread usage. TMG put Ultranet ports on some powered speakers for example. Ultimately it's ended up being an additional protocol that, aside from the P-16 use case, is an answer to a question no one is asking.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 09:49:28 PM »

-Russ

The ultranet protocol is very different than AES50. The idea is that you can send 16 channels of audio PLUS power down a line if need be.  The signal can be distributed in many directions using a splitter, whereas AES50 is point to point only.

In many case scenarios, they certainly do overlap. In an X32 environment, this could come in handy if you needed your outputs somewhere and you've already used up both of your AES50 ports.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 09:49:28 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.