ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: White Instruments Model 142A  (Read 1775 times)

Douglas Kohl

White Instruments Model 142A
« on: January 19, 2023, 08:07:59 PM »

Hello all, I am new to this forum and need some help. I acquired a White Instruments Model 142A Spectrum Monitor. The unit powers up, but does not appear to be working. I went to the White Instruments dot com website and sent an email to the address specified and got the "unable to locate address" message. Apparently, White has shut down ???? Anyways, the unit powers up, according to the on/off switch lamp, but connecting a mic, connecting a line signal, nothing on the spectrum led's. turning the gain up, messing with all the controls, zip, nada......do I need to use a reference type mic ? I did not get the manual and have been unable to find it online. Does anyone here have some info/advice ? Thanks in advance.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: White Instruments Model 142A
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 03:27:50 PM »

Anyways, the unit powers up, according to the on/off switch lamp, but connecting a mic, connecting a line signal, nothing on the spectrum led's. turning the gain up, messing with all the controls, zip, nada......do I need to use a reference type mic ? I did not get the manual and have been unable to find it online. Does anyone here have some info/advice ? Thanks in advance.
Douglas,

https://opencorporates.com/companies/us_tx/0056747700
Lists White Instruments as voluntarily dissolved December 4, 2018. 
Shirley Van Rswyk, the VP and director passed away October 25, 2016.

If your White Instruments Model 142A works, it does not require a "reference type mic" for the input to pass audio.
The 142A appears to only have a line input, so generally needs an XLR female to male TRS to use a microphone, and probably does not provide the DC phantom power needed for condenser mics.
Sometimes you can get lucky blasting a high level (+20 dBU) signal in to "wake up" old circuits.

The 142A may share enough features with the 140 that it's manual, which contains schematics may be of use for troubleshooting:
http://www.whiteinstruments.com/140-archive.pdf

If the unit is not just for nostalgic appearance (searching it brought back memories of my early years in audio) you could use REW free software for room acoustic, loudspeaker, and audio device measurement.
REW can do more and far more accurate work than the 142A ever could, though you need a computer and some device interface to use it.

Won't have those bright red LEDs or a pretty wooden hinged case, oh well..

Art

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: White Instruments Model 142A
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 03:27:50 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.