ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the DBX ZonePRO 641m decent?  (Read 1193 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Is the DBX ZonePRO 641m decent?
« on: January 16, 2023, 12:39:33 PM »

Or should I be looking at anything else that's under maybe 800 bucks? This will be used for a simple Church setup where there's a pair of powered speakers up front and another pair as delays. This is a pop up church and they will have other functions there like acoustic singer songwriter stuff and meetings and events.

All I truthfully need is the delay for the fills, but since this DBX is 6x4 I would use it to protect and process the mains as well. So if there's a cheapish 4x4 processor out there better than the Zonepro let's hear it. Or if you like the Zonepro let's hear that as well.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Is the DBX ZonePRO 641m decent?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 02:41:06 PM »

I've installed a few of them. They do their job. 

Programming is a bit annoying since it requires an app running in Windows. No web interface so fixes from your phone are out. No display on the unit either, so in order to see what's going on, again, you need to have a Windows machine handy.

Using it to 'protect and process' the mains might be a stretch for its capabilities.  It's really a very basic processor at best. 
Brian Jojade

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 03:38:30 PM »

I've installed a few of them. They do their job. 

Programming is a bit annoying since it requires an app running in Windows. No web interface so fixes from your phone are out. No display on the unit either, so in order to see what's going on, again, you need to have a Windows machine handy.

Using it to 'protect and process' the mains might be a stretch for its capabilities.  It's really a very basic processor at best.

That's fine. I don't want any accessible controls anyway. And the speakers are going to be Yamaha DXR's so protection is kinda built in anyway.

Thanks.....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 07:28:54 PM »

There decent, I've used them quite a few times. The M version lets you mix between sources and has an ethernet connection for control and programing or you can use the serial connection.

The Zone Pro processing is more or less DBX260 based or vise versa.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 08:39:22 PM »

There decent, I've used them quite a few times. The M version lets you mix between sources and has an ethernet connection for control and programing or you can use the serial connection.

The Zone Pro processing is more or less DBX260 based or vise versa.

That's what I figured. At the absolute most it will take a mixer LR in and maybe an ipod input. But thats a big if.

Looks like this will do what I need to do.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 10:30:59 PM »

You could add a ZC volume control to the iPod, in the set up you can set the range that you want to allow the volume control to operate.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2023, 02:06:51 PM »

They're decent. I've installed maybe a dozen of them back in the 2010's. If you can stretch the budget to maybe $1,000 you could get an Allen & Heath AHM-16. They have much better sound quality and are expandable with a card slot that would accept a Dante card or an S-Link card to interface with A&H consoles and stage boxes. Now you're getting into a modern DSP with iOS control, touchscreen wall plates if needed, and much more flexible processing and routing. I don't know what the current inventory at A&H looks like, but I believe I have 2 or 3 in stock if it helps you out. I try to keep all of the sizes of AHM in stock since they are typically on backorder.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2023, 02:46:52 PM »

They're decent. I've installed maybe a dozen of them back in the 2010's. If you can stretch the budget to maybe $1,000 you could get an Allen & Heath AHM-16. They have much better sound quality and are expandable with a card slot that would accept a Dante card or an S-Link card to interface with A&H consoles and stage boxes. Now you're getting into a modern DSP with iOS control, touchscreen wall plates if needed, and much more flexible processing and routing. I don't know what the current inventory at A&H looks like, but I believe I have 2 or 3 in stock if it helps you out. I try to keep all of the sizes of AHM in stock since they are typically on backorder.
None of that is needed in this case. It just needs to be the front end for 2 mains and 2 delays for some completely tech ignorant users. I will be looking at the A&H stuff in the near future though as I rotate out some old Atlas Bluebridge devices.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2023, 02:46:52 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.