Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Pro AV Forum

I-Mag suggestions

(1/2) > >>

Craig Hauber:
Looking to eliminate the 1694a coax runs thru the audience areas for I-Mag cams on a tour.
Are any of the network video formats of low enough delay to use for live I-Mag (of a musical show with choreography). I hate shooting active performers when the results appear on screen almost a whole bar behind the live! (and this has been a battle with our current cams/coax/ATEM/projector setup)
And if so, what type of network bandwidth would I need for 3 x 1080 feeds?
I have a 10G fiber link between stage and FOH that my Control, DMX and Dante is barely using.
Because we set up in a hurry daily I would love less lines than the 250' hod of coax we currently figure-8 into a trunk and instead move everything to a lightweight fiber on a spool.

(Just another episode of a sound guy having to solve everyone else's problems.)

Dave Garoutte:
There is inherent latency in HDMI.  Different cameras can have from 2-8 frames of lag to the output.  Any converter will add more.
You might look into NDI for vid over ethernet.  I don't know their latency. 
I have some Hollyland Cosmo 600 wireless Tx /Rx that have almost no latency.  Between the BMCP4k and that, I can stream 1080 live handheld music in near real time.  No cables.

Erik Jerde:
If your goal is just to get to fiber because it’s less bulky/easier to work with then use SDI copper to fiber converters and be done.  I’d stick with SDI.  There’s a reason why it’s been the professional video transport for years.

Craig Hauber:

--- Quote from: Erik Jerde on January 13, 2023, 02:00:23 PM ---If your goal is just to get to fiber because it’s less bulky/easier to work with then use SDI copper to fiber converters and be done.  I’d stick with SDI.  There’s a reason why it’s been the professional video transport for years.

--- End quote ---
Yes I have been discovering that in my research.  SDI on coax is still the transport medium that provides the highest bandwidth for the least cost.
Also found that 12-strand SM fiber on a spool is surprisingly affordable. Even considering I may have to carry an identical spare because it is definitely an "all eggs in one basket" type situation.

Erik Jerde:

--- Quote from: Craig Hauber on January 18, 2023, 05:21:36 PM ---Yes I have been discovering that in my research.  SDI on coax is still the transport medium that provides the highest bandwidth for the least cost.
Also found that 12-strand SM fiber on a spool is surprisingly affordable. Even considering I may have to carry an identical spare because it is definitely an "all eggs in one basket" type situation.

--- End quote ---

The fiber you’re referring to is probably MPO terminated fiber that you can put breakout whips on.  It can be surprisingly cheap.  I just got 2 30M MPO MM cables for $48 bucks each.  Helluva deal.

I’d strongly caution you against using fiber intended for data centers though.  I’d be concerned about durability in a live production environment.  Most video fiber that I’ve worked with is heavier duty tactical type cable terminated with neutrik opticon which is a ruggedized LC fiber connector intended for the type of work and environments we encounter.  You’re also much more likely to be able to find rentals.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version