Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

AES PNW "PA With Mic Cuppers: Dealing With It" Monday Jan. 30 6pmPST

(1/5) > >>

Dan Mortensen:
Hi Everyone,

My AES Section will be doing this meeting both in-person in Seattle and online wherever you are.

We'll be meeting in the warehouse of a big PA company and have a big PA with sidehills and wedges to watch how monitor engineers get a cupped mic (resulting in an omni pattern) to get real loud and sound acceptable with a bunch of speakers pointing at it.

Our guests will be three Seattle-area monitor engineers who have toured with a variety of bands:

Christina Moon
Jesse Turner
Vince Agne

If you have something to contribute, we'd happily have you with us to talk about it. Same if you want to watch and learn.

Go to our website to learn more, and sign up at the Eventbrite link for a free ticket* to attend in-person or via Zoom.

I'll be moderating.

When you sign up, you'll get emails starting two days beforehand containing the physical location and the Zoom link. That's so we know how many are coming in each way, physically or virtually.

Thanks!

*There's also free tickets where you can donate $5 or $10 to support our activities, but the tickets are otherwise all the same.

Tim McCulloch:
Awesome, Dan!  The PNW Chapter continues to impress with interesting and useful meetings, webinars, and Tea Time Topics.

Thanks for posting this! :)

Dan Mortensen:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on January 12, 2023, 05:53:06 PM ---Awesome, Dan!  The PNW Chapter continues to impress with interesting and useful meetings, webinars, and Tea Time Topics.

Thanks for posting this! :)

--- End quote ---

Thanks as always, Tim.

I think it's going to be really interesting, but it's also interesting how little interest it has generated so far from this group. I think my Section and I do the best Zoom meetings* I've seen (although I obviously haven't been to an exhaustive selection) and I think the presenters, along with people who I know read this forum, will have a real nice conversation and demonstration about not only coping with mic cupping, but about what it means to be a monitor engineer. I specifically wanted to include that picture of Vince on the Tonight Show as an example of the breadth the job title can have (i.e., manhandling the talent with permission as part of the show, and in costume).

People can sign up through the link in the OP if interested, and I hope some are. It's a Monday...

And if you are coming and have something you want to share and want to let me know in advance, you can either PM me here or "Send a message to the organizer" in Eventbrite and I'll get it.

Thanks again, Tim.

*And people who go to LOTS of Zoom meetings and AES Section meetings have told me that exact thing.

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: Dan Mortensen on January 15, 2023, 03:09:52 PM ---{...} It's a Monday... {...}

--- End quote ---

...which means there's probably a union meeting. :D Will there be an archival recording available?

-Russ

Dan Mortensen:

--- Quote from: Russell Ault on January 16, 2023, 04:25:20 PM ---...which means there's probably a union meeting. :D Will there be an archival recording available?

-Russ

--- End quote ---

Yes. Zoom makes that easy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version