Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Wireless and Communications

Wireless distributed speaker system?

(1/2) > >>

Kevin Maxwell:
A friend has asked about doing a distributed speaker system for announcements at an outdoor fair. He says there would be power available in multiple spots but he doesn’t want to try and run wires all over the place so he is looking for a wireless distribution system. We have a bunch of wireless systems with the receivers racked up and wired up and aren’t anxious to take them apart. But it might be possible to pull some of them out of a rack and put one receiver at each speaker position.

So my question is for the transmitter, would a Sennheiser EW series IEM transmitter work with standard EW100 receivers? Can I put the IEM transmitter into a Mono mode to make this work? I don’t know if I would want to trust a wireless body pack transmitter to work for this, mostly because there isn’t an easy way to put a better antenna on it.

Mike Caldwell:

--- Quote from: Kevin Maxwell on January 08, 2023, 11:57:03 PM ---
So my question is for the transmitter, would a Sennheiser EW series IEM transmitter work with standard EW100 receivers? Can I put the IEM transmitter into a Mono mode to make this work? I don’t know if I would want to trust a wireless body pack transmitter to work for this, mostly because there isn’t an easy way to put a better antenna on it.

--- End quote ---

Yes and you do need to turn the pilot off in the receiver.

Just a few topics down this was just talked about.
https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,178265.0.html

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Kevin Maxwell on January 08, 2023, 11:57:03 PM ---A friend has asked about doing a distributed speaker system for announcements at an outdoor fair. He says there would be power available in multiple spots but he doesn’t want to try and run wires all over the place so he is looking for a wireless distribution system. We have a bunch of wireless systems with the receivers racked up and wired up and aren’t anxious to take them apart. But it might be possible to pull some of them out of a rack and put one receiver at each speaker position.

--- End quote ---

Hi Kevin-

My best recollection is that the Senny g3 transmitters, IEM or portable, use the same companding scheme, so a g3 wireless mic receiver should work.  That would allow you to use LPDA, half wave omni, or helical antennae as may be needed.  I could also be delusional and off my meds, so there's that.

IIRC there are models of Shure IEM transmitters/wireless mic receivers that can do this, too.

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on January 12, 2023, 11:52:52 PM ---Hi Kevin-

My best recollection is that the Senny g3 transmitters, IEM or portable, use the same companding scheme, so a g3 wireless mic receiver should work.  That would allow you to use LPDA, half wave omni, or helical antennae as may be needed.  I could also be delusional and off my meds, so there's that.

IIRC there are models of Shure IEM transmitters/wireless mic receivers that can do this, too.

--- End quote ---

Done it many times with success.  IEM Tx and Not body pack Rx, to several remotes.

boburtz:

--- Quote from: Kevin Maxwell on January 08, 2023, 11:57:03 PM ---A friend has asked about doing a distributed speaker system for announcements at an outdoor fair. He says there would be power available in multiple spots but he doesn’t want to try and run wires all over the place so he is looking for a wireless distribution system. We have a bunch of wireless systems with the receivers racked up and wired up and aren’t anxious to take them apart. But it might be possible to pull some of them out of a rack and put one receiver at each speaker position.

--- End quote ---
There is a product called "Airocks" that is designed to do this and they even have adjustable delay at the receiver for time alignment. I have used them, and I have used the Sennheiser solution you are talking about. My experience is that the Sennheiser system (iem tx, rf mic rx) has a more reliable connection. I have used them beyond 300' without problems with proper directional antennae placement.
Good Luck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version