ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking at Speaker additions/Upgrades  (Read 3245 times)

Rick Powell

Re: Looking at Speaker additions/Upgrades
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2023, 07:22:54 PM »

I am already pushing my budget those seem like a step up in cost.

When pushing the limits of Hoffman's Iron Law (low frequency, small size, and output for a sub - pick 2) it usually takes some cash to get there. As it is, the Captivator 212 is very loud and musical for its size, at the expense of the lower sub frequencies. They could've built a box the same cubic volume with custom OEM speakers that would go down to 10 Hz, but then overall output would suffer. There are other lightweight subs out there (the 74 lb. QSC KSub comes to mind) that are less expensive, but underwhelming. We are all about the holy grail of a sub-80 lb. box that would put out 140 dB at 40 hz and sound great at doing so, but whoever solves the physics and electro-mechanics and makes it will charge a pretty penny.  ;D

Rob Stevens

• Rob Stevens
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2023, 04:47:26 PM »

I received my 2 DZR12s on Friday, and managed 2 gigs with them, so far I am very happy with the results.

Mid and High end clarity was much better than my IQ stuff.

I also got 1 of the 2 DXS15XLF subs in, but have not had time to use it yet, as I really needed a pair for these gigs, so it will likely sit for a month before I start gigging it.

I just got the 2nd Sub in about 2 weeks ahead of when I expected, I am excited to run the whole rig this weekend, So far I have been very happy with this upgrade.

Now I need to sort out out what my Used IQ12/IQ15B Set up is worth on the used Market, these days I have no idea how to value things, but I suppose a scan of FB Marketplace and Craigslist will be a good starting point.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2023, 05:56:59 AM »

I just got the 2nd Sub in about 2 weeks ahead of when I expected, I am excited to run the whole rig this weekend, So far I have been very happy with this upgrade.

Now I need to sort out out what my Used IQ12/IQ15B Set up is worth on the used Market, these days I have no idea how to value things, but I suppose a scan of FB Marketplace and Craigslist will be a good starting point.

Let us know how it goes. I believe a picture or two is a requirement as well.  ;)

Douglas R. Allen

Pat Latimer

• Charleston, S.C.
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2023, 10:29:15 AM »

We just received yesterday a pair of DZR 12's & a pair of the DXS18XLF.

Running program music through them, the 12's run away from the subs quickly!

I'm thinking a pair of these could keep up with 3-4 subs per side.

Gonna run some more tests and get them dialed in a little more tonight.

So far, I'm impressed!

I would attach a photo but....

« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 11:43:27 AM by Pat Latimer »

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2023, 01:21:28 PM »

I'm thinking a pair of these could keep up with 3-4 subs per side.

Gonna run some more tests and get them dialed in a little more tonight.

So far, I'm impressed!

I would attach a photo but....

The DZR range is a level above the DXR range, so no surprise that the sub can't keep up.  That said, you almost always need multiple subs to keep up with a decent top.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2023, 03:15:26 PM »

If you are using the crossover output from the sub to feed the top you probably need to adjust the gain settings that are only accessible in the digital menu.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2023, 01:49:25 AM »

I guess I'm lucky that my gigs don't require much volume. I get away with 2 PRX715XLF's (clustered) with my DZR12's and they do fine. I'm doing live jazz/rock/folk bands not DJ/EDM stuff, but it is outdoors (reasonably small areas). That said, the subs are getting close to their limit and I'd quickly run out of sub if I needed more. The PRX715XLF's only weigh 56 lbs each though, which is why I keep hanging on to them.

The DZR range is a level above the DXR range, so no surprise that the sub can't keep up.  That said, you almost always need multiple subs to keep up with a decent top.

Any idea if Yamaha is planning to release an upgraded sub line? DZSxxXLF?

Rick Powell

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2023, 05:03:41 PM »

Any idea if Yamaha is planning to release an upgraded sub line? DZSxxXLF?

As far as Yamaha is concerned, the DXS sub series is the companion to the DZR full range series. https://usa.yamaha.com/products/proaudio/speakers/dzr_dxs_xlf/index.html

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2023, 12:32:06 AM »

As far as Yamaha is concerned, the DXS sub series is the companion to the DZR full range series. https://usa.yamaha.com/products/proaudio/speakers/dzr_dxs_xlf/index.html
My DXS15 was bought to go with my DXR12.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2023, 10:26:35 AM »

The XLF sub models are the companion to the DZR full range series. They also offer the DXS XLF and DZR cabs with Dante.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2023, 10:26:35 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 25 queries.