ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with Yamaha TF-3 sound desk  (Read 2458 times)

Rich Ingram

Help with Yamaha TF-3 sound desk
« on: January 03, 2023, 10:50:09 AM »

We have a Yamaha TF-3 at our church and has an EQ setup for the room. There is an output coming from the desk via the main aux bus using the L/R XLR cable and goes to our livestream. The audio on the livestream is horrendous. It has no EQ setup and therefore sounds very flat. I have been told that you can't setup a separate EQ for the aux bus, is this true? If so, can anyone suggest any work arounds, without us having to replace the sound desk?

Thank you in advance

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Help with Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 11:00:37 AM »

We have a Yamaha TF-3 at our church and has an EQ setup for the room. There is an output coming from the desk via the main aux bus using the L/R XLR cable and goes to our livestream. The audio on the livestream is horrendous. It has no EQ setup and therefore sounds very flat. I have been told that you can't setup a separate EQ for the aux bus, is this true? If so, can anyone suggest any work arounds, without us having to replace the sound desk?

Thank you in advance

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Help with Yamaha TF-3 sound desk
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 11:30:55 PM »

Thank you in advance

You're going to have to clarify what the "Main Aux Bus" is. The Main is the main and an Aux is something in-addition to the main. Auxes give you the ability to derive different mixes and send them to different places. Saying Main Aux Bus is in itself an oxymoron.

Most likely what you want to do will be possible. The TF mixers have a ton of outputs available and all of them have their own EQ.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Rich Ingram

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 06:39:57 AM »

You're going to have to clarify what the "Main Aux Bus" is. The Main is the main and an Aux is something in-addition to the main. Auxes give you the ability to derive different mixes and send them to different places. Saying Main Aux Bus is in itself an oxymoron.

Most likely what you want to do will be possible. The TF mixers have a ton of outputs available and all of them have their own EQ.

Apologies, I believe it uses one of the stereo AUX channels. AUX 10 I think

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 06:43:38 PM »

Apologies, I believe it uses one of the stereo AUX channels. AUX 10 I think

So aux 10 drive your livestream and the main stereo out goes to the house?

If that's the case you hit the Aux10 button on the right hand side of the board, then the "main fader" actually becomes the Aux 10 master fader. You select it and change the EQ as normal. Just don't forget to unselect Aux 10 so you can get back to the main mix.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Rich Ingram

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2023, 11:19:51 AM »

So aux 10 drive your livestream and the main stereo out goes to the house?

If that's the case you hit the Aux10 button on the right hand side of the board, then the "main fader" actually becomes the Aux 10 master fader. You select it and change the EQ as normal. Just don't forget to unselect Aux 10 so you can get back to the main mix.

So I did a bit of experimenting at the weekend when I was in front of the desk. The output is using Aux 9/10. You can go into EQ but it will only change on the aux bus for the whole output. When I select each individual channel when aux 9/10 is selected and try and change the EQ, it also makes the change for the main output to the room. I want to be able to have a separate EQ per channel for the livestream outputting via aux 9/10 to that of the main room.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2023, 11:47:55 AM »

So I did a bit of experimenting at the weekend when I was in front of the desk. The output is using Aux 9/10. You can go into EQ but it will only change on the aux bus for the whole output. When I select each individual channel when aux 9/10 is selected and try and change the EQ, it also makes the change for the main output to the room. I want to be able to have a separate EQ per channel for the livestream outputting via aux 9/10 to that of the main room.

If you want separate eq and dynamics for the stream that don’t effect the mains you need to double assign those channels to 2 input strips each and use 1 for the mains and the other for the stream.

Mac

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2023, 12:17:20 PM »

If you want separate eq and dynamics for the stream that don’t effect the mains you need to double assign those channels to 2 input strips each and use 1 for the mains and the other for the stream.

Mac

Yeah but I don't know if this is actually possible on the TF. The patch is pretty limited. Input one can be preamp 1, USB 1 or Card 1 but it can't be Preamp 2 if I'm remembering correctly. Can those more familiar confirm? I've installed a couple of these but don't regularly mix on them.

OP, it seems to me what you want to do is to derive a totally different mix for online vs in the house. This is the right way to do it, but unfortunately I'm not sure you will get there using one TF console. The BEST way to do it is to have a seperate console in a different room where someone can mix for the stream, and then the original console only mixes for the house. Barring that, you can "split" a single desk in to two halves by double patching the inputs and then Ch1-16 are house and ch17-32 are for the stream for example.

Unfortunately Channel EQ's affect both sends. There should be a way to change it so that the Aux taps into the channel before the EQ, but then you get EQ for the house and none for the stream. That's about the best you can do on this particular board.

Thomas Le

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2023, 12:31:36 PM »

Download the TF editor and see. But I do recall that on the TF rack, they double each input for the banks of 16, so inputs 1-16 are routed to channels 1-16 and 17-32 IIRC. Church I volunteer at is all in on TF, works great for our needs.

ThomasA(lbenberger)

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2023, 04:23:27 PM »

Hi Rich,

If it is indeed necessary to have such drastic differences in the channel EQ from your house-mix to your stream-send, you might want to review your PA-system's EQ. Could it be, that you need to have some serious EQ-settings on your main output to the PA for making it sound good in the room? If so, you might try to find a way to adjust the PA-EQ at another point - a system controller for example - so that the PA sounds fine with a somewhat flat EQ on the main output from the desk. After that, the stream should usually only need a little do-over with EQ and compression to sound decent.

Best regards,

Thomas

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2023, 05:09:54 PM »

Hi Rich,

If it is indeed necessary to have such drastic differences in the channel EQ from your house-mix to your stream-send, you might want to review your PA-system's EQ. Could it be, that you need to have some serious EQ-settings on your main output to the PA for making it sound good in the room? If so, you might try to find a way to adjust the PA-EQ at another point - a system controller for example - so that the PA sounds fine with a somewhat flat EQ on the main output from the desk. After that, the stream should usually only need a little do-over with EQ and compression to sound decent.

Best regards,

Thomas

You wouldn't need an external processor to do this. Just EQ the main out for the room and that won't affect the stream which is being fed by a stereo Aux buss. But yes, less channel eq and more main eq to make it sound good in the house. You'll have to strike a balance on what you can and can't do on the channels, because everytime you mess with a channel eq you'll be changing it for the stream as well.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2023, 10:17:10 PM »

Yeah but I don't know if this is actually possible on the TF. The patch is pretty limited. Input one can be preamp 1, USB 1 or Card 1 but it can't be Preamp 2 if I'm remembering correctly. Can those more familiar confirm? I've installed a couple of these but don't regularly mix on them.

Yeah, this is correct, which makes the standard double patching trick difficult unless you're coming in via Dante and can double patch it there.

It is, by far, the most infuriating limitation in the desk...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2023, 10:17:10 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.