Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Generator electrical splitter cables

(1/5) > >>

Bob Faulkner:
Has anyone used (or is using) these generator splitter cords that sometimes get used on the 30amp (120/240) 3-prong or 4-prong receptacles?

Sort of like this (certainly not as long):
https://www.homedepot.com/p/FIRMAN-25-ft-125-Volt-30-Amp-L5-30P-to-3-Multi-Directional-5-20R-Outlets-Generator-Power-Extension-Cord-with-Storage-Strap-1105/315517895

About every 2 years, I end up doing a small show where someone has a 5KW or 7KW gasoline generator (sometimes an inverter) to power audio and lighting.  With these generators, there's always a "suspect" electrical splitter cable plugged into one of the 30 amp (120, 120/240) receptacles for us to use.  It's either a home-made one or a "factory" one that has been used to pull a car out of mud.  There's usually not enough power from the 15/20amp receptacles for everything.

I'm considering just getting my own splitter cables and using those instead of what is usually provided.  I sampled some splitters at the big box stores... they didn't feel right.  The blades seemed too thin and the build quality did not appear good.  Though, if this is the way these cords are, and they function good... then I may pick up a couple.  These would probably only be used once a year (at best).

Any recommendations for a generator splitter cable (for occasional use)?  I'm not ruling out a more professional solution, but wanted to make sure I'm not being too critical of the big-box offerings.

Brian Jojade:
The factory molded stuff never seems to be of the same caliber of higher quality plugs.  I've seen them do things like use 2 layers of metal for the plug instead of a solid piece.  Functionally they would be the same, but the 2 layer design is much easier to bend out of shape.  They also may use a different mix of metal, as again cheaper ones bend easier.

If you take care of the connectors, that part probably won't matter.

For the unit you linked to, it looks like there are breakers on each of the outputs which would make it a legit connector.  Keep in mind that the 3 pin connector is 30 amps at 120 volts TOTAL.  You don't magically get 3 20 amp circuits this way.

The 4 pin conductor would be 2 120v legs at 30 amps, or 60 amps total of 120v circuits.  Twice as much as the 3 pin wire.

Interestingly enough, they offer one of the cables for the 4 pin wire: https://www.homedepot.com/p/FIRMAN-25-ft-125-Volt-30-Amp-L14-30P-to-Four-20-Amp-5-20R-Fan-Style-Generator-Power-Extension-Cord-with-Storage-Strap-1120/315517896

However, it appears that there are only 2 breakers on this unit. That would mean that the breaker would need to be a 20 amp breaker for the 20 amp plug, or they are cheating and putting a larger than 20 amp breaker and sharing it between the 2 plugs.

Quite honestly though, I'd simply go the route of a proper distro. I have a 50 amp distro that gets used at venues that have 240 power available.  Simply make an adaptor that fits the plug for the generator and you're done.  Now you're covered for every scenario.

Note, it's OK to plug a larger distro into the smaller generator, as those plugs should have overload protection on them.  You just need to be mindful of your total load.  Adding current meters to your distro is super inexpensive and handy if you're at all concerned about that.

Bob Faulkner:
Thanks Brian.  You are right about the low quality of the blades; 2 layers instead of a one solid piece -sigh-.  I am mostly dis-enchanted with the big-box stores, but sometimes, they may have something that actually works.  For the size of the events where I would need a splitter, a 3-pin 30amp would probably be adequate; a 4-pin would be better.

I have a Motion Labs Rac Pac (50amp) in my larger PA rack.  It works perfect for the larger shows (with Diesel generators), but with these smaller gigs, I'm having a hard time justifying an expense for something I may use once a year (I'm getting cheap in my old age), which is why I'm looking at splitters.   I thought about using the Rac Pac, but it would be a lot of work removing it and re-installing it and I don't have a "traveling rack" for it.  Thanks for the link!  I wish these stores carried more "solutions" in stock so I could handle/check them.

Chris Hindle:

--- Quote from: Bob Faulkner on January 03, 2023, 08:58:29 AM ---Thanks Brian.  You are right about the low quality of the blades; 2 layers instead of a one solid piece -sigh-.  I am mostly dis-enchanted with the big-box stores, but sometimes, they may have something that actually works.  For the size of the events where I would need a splitter, a 3-pin 30amp would probably be adequate; a 4-pin would be better.

I have a Motion Labs Rac Pac (50amp) in my larger PA rack.  It works perfect for the larger shows (with Diesel generators), but with these smaller gigs, I'm having a hard time justifying an expense for something I may use once a year (I'm getting cheap in my old age), which is why I'm looking at splitters.   I thought about using the Rac Pac, but it would be a lot of work removing it and re-installing it and I don't have a "traveling rack" for it.  Thanks for the link!  I wish these stores carried more "solutions" in stock so I could handle/check them.

--- End quote ---

Bob, is this "splitter" something a Generator House may have as a rental item?
Once or twice a rear, right?
Chris.

Bob Faulkner:

--- Quote from: Chris Hindle on January 03, 2023, 09:56:49 AM ---Bob, is this "splitter" something a Generator House may have as a rental item?
Once or twice a rear, right?
Chris.

--- End quote ---
Hey Chris - I would assume a generator house would have that.  Though, the generators used at these events are always provided by someone from the event; I'm not sure where they are getting them.  I'm sure some have been personal generators.   I'm tempted just to get my own cord and bring them with me to the event(s), instead of renting.  I think it would be cheaper to own than rent for something like a cord.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version