ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Good but inexpensive front wash  (Read 6296 times)

Steve Ferreira

Re: Good but inexpensive front wash
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2022, 11:44:41 AM »

18 x 18-watt LEDs, Powercon and DMX through for $77.44? How do they do it so cheap? Do they charge you 200 bucks for shipping?

It was $100 CDN and $33 to ship to me in Canada.

From their website:
Timeliness:
From EU warehouses to EU counties, from US warehouses to US:
By express(DHL, UPS, etc): 3-15 days(working day), Shipping Rate: Free shipping

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2022, 11:55:33 AM »

How are you liking the Shehds products? I have some no name brand led pars I bought like 10 years ago that need some replacing. 

Almost everything I have purchased over the last 10 years from this distributor and several other China based companies is still functioning, the exceptions are some super cheap plastic pars and a couple fixtures that developed faults later on. The key to buying direct from these distributors is to buy everything you need plus a 1-3 spares at the same time, the products change over time so there is often no way to get parts several years down the road. I think you will be pleasantly surprised that these are not junk, the build quality is as good as and in some cases better than brand name DJ grade products available domestically.
You may have options for the lens's installed on the fixtures you order so ask ahead of time, the default is a narrow 15deg lens I believe which makes the fixture more of a spot than a flood, but if you want a flood have them install wider angle lens.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2022, 12:08:02 AM »

18 x 18-watt LEDs, Powercon and DMX through for $77.44? How do they do it so cheap? Do they charge you 200 bucks for shipping?

Generally speaking...

No quality control
No performance guarantee
No warranty
No aftermarket support
No spare parts availability
No R&D expense

You're doing quite well if the manual is even written in anything but poorly translated English!

I'm firmly of the position that Chinese imports are fine for bar bands and hobbyists, but those needing professional results for professional jobs earning professional paychecks need professional equipment and the benefits that come with. 

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2022, 09:18:03 AM »

I have a bunch of different LED fixtures that are ok for backlighting, but for a recent community theatre production in a gym I had to use 2 x 4bars of 300w par 56 mfl lamps, and I still could have used more light. Stage area was approx 30’w x 16’d
Any good recommendations on a nice wide, bright front wash light that’s not crazy expensive?

My 2022 goal was to upgrade my spartan/totally-lame/basic lighting rig to accompany my PA.

After much research/suggestions (both online and talking to gigging bands) I settled on Rockville battery-par-61 lights.
I ordered 8 fixtures for a two tree wash.
I was looking for lights that included amber, a hard-wire or battery option, wireless remote, low volume fan, guarantee, etc.
My selling point: I spoke to a muso buddy of mine that leads a wedding/corp band that gigs the Boston circuit 50+ times a year and he suggested I look at them as they "look good and hold up well".
I used them once on a gig a couple of weeks ago and was satisfied.

After January 1st I plan to order 10 more of the same (to be used as two 4-fixture up-washes plus two spare units).

Tommy Nikiforov

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2022, 12:52:48 PM »

My 2022 goal was to upgrade my spartan/totally-lame/basic lighting rig to accompany my PA.

After much research/suggestions (both online and talking to gigging bands) I settled on Rockville battery-par-61 lights.
I ordered 8 fixtures for a two tree wash.
I was looking for lights that included amber, a hard-wire or battery option, wireless remote, low volume fan, guarantee, etc.
My selling point: I spoke to a muso buddy of mine that leads a wedding/corp band that gigs the Boston circuit 50+ times a year and he suggested I look at them as they "look good and hold up well".
I used them once on a gig a couple of weeks ago and was satisfied.

After January 1st I plan to order 10 more of the same (to be used as two 4-fixture up-washes plus two spare units).

Just a heads up, eventho they tell you its the same fixture a couple months later, theres a reasonably large change the dmx layout or similar has changed, that happens frequently with chinesium fixtures.
Lighting Designer / Programmer / Operator
ChamSys Alpha tester
Located in Southern Finland

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2022, 01:44:43 PM »

Generally speaking...

No quality control
No performance guarantee
No warranty
No aftermarket support
No spare parts availability
No R&D expense

I was talking to an engineer at ETC about LED lights and one of the biggest challenges they had to deal with was the inconsistencies of LED sources.  The 2 major problems were general inconsistent brightness between LEDs and changes in LED brightness as the lamp heated up.

In order to get consistent light across fixtures, their solution is to internally custom program each individual light that varies the output of the LEDs based on temperature. That way, when you send it a DMX value, you end up with predictable identical color output on each fixture.

This attention to detail doesn't exist on cheap china lights. If you get reddish, bluish and greenish, that's good enough.  It may be good enough for you too, but when you're washing a stage and it doesn't look the same all the way across, then you may have to step up to a higher level playing field.
Brian Jojade

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2022, 03:31:05 PM »

I was talking to an engineer at ETC about LED lights and one of the biggest challenges they had to deal with was the inconsistencies of LED sources.  The 2 major problems were general inconsistent brightness between LEDs and changes in LED brightness as the lamp heated up.

In order to get consistent light across fixtures, their solution is to internally custom program each individual light that varies the output of the LEDs based on temperature. That way, when you send it a DMX value, you end up with predictable identical color output on each fixture.

This attention to detail doesn't exist on cheap china lights. If you get reddish, bluish and greenish, that's good enough.  It may be good enough for you too, but when you're washing a stage and it doesn't look the same all the way across, then you may have to step up to a higher level playing field.

Also as you go up in price, the actual quality and color consistency of the diodes gets better. 
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2022, 11:31:35 PM »

I purchased 1 of these to test out against what I have now. If it works well or is comparable to what I have I will pull the trigger on more units.

https://www.shehds.com/products/aluminum-alloy-led-flat-par-18x18w-lighting-dj-par-cans-dmx-512-light-wash-stage-lighting
That’s one I was looking at too. Let me know how it is when it arrives. If it checks out I may grab a dozen.
I picked up 6 cheap chinese mini movers this year based on a post here. I’ve been happy with them for the type of gigs they’re used on.
Cheers.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2022, 04:47:44 AM »

Yep - I had a chance to get a peek at some of this a few years ago.  Consistency and predictability are two huge factors that set apart direct import fixtures from more professional options.  Being ProSoundWeb, imagine if every time you put together a QSC or JBL rig and you'd have no idea what it would sound like?  It'd be completely unacceptable to make a gamble like that for anything important.  I view lighting in the same way.

Another point to mention is a fixture's performance at low output.  From what ETC has said, something like 80% of R&D on a fixture goes into performance at output levels under 20% full output. 

Also as you go up in price, the actual quality and color consistency of the diodes gets better. 

Absolutely.  I sat in a "white paper" presentation by Martin during their roadshow last year and it was quite eye-opening as to what all makes a "good" LED fixture like a MAC Ultra compared to something cobbled together with OEM parts off the shelf.  I'll admit some of the technical bits were beyond my understanding, but to my original point, this is all part of what you're paying for when buying name-brand - actual R&D to give you an instrument you can depend on when needing professional performance without compromise. 

James Feenstra

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2023, 04:24:14 PM »

From what ETC has said, something like 80% of R&D on a fixture goes into performance at output levels under 20% full output. 
As someone who used to work for a very prominent LED lighting manufacturer, this is absolutely correct.

Under 10% is the hardest thing to do with LED fixtures, and is where the majority of the R+D money goes to. The rest mostly goes into dimmer curves.

Any fixtures that does linear dimming below 10% is going to be pricey but worth the money.

Color consistency between fixtures is also a big deal, which is something you also don't get with amazon Chinese specials, at least when you buy over multiple dates.
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2023, 04:24:14 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 20 queries.