ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Good but inexpensive front wash  (Read 5967 times)

Bradford "BJ" James

Good but inexpensive front wash
« on: December 19, 2022, 10:04:33 AM »

I have a bunch of different LED fixtures that are ok for backlighting, but for a recent community theatre production in a gym I had to use 2 x 4bars of 300w par 56 mfl lamps, and I still could have used more light. Stage area was approx 30’w x 16’d
Any good recommendations on a nice wide, bright front wash light that’s not crazy expensive?
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

John Schalk

Re: Good but inexpensive front wash
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 10:44:10 AM »

Any good recommendations on a nice wide, bright front wash light that’s not crazy expensive?
I researched this question quite a bit this year as I had buy some four-par bars of my own if I wanted to be able to book more gigs.  What I learned is that there are lots of cheap options out there, especially on eBay, but there was one feature that set the more expensive fixtures apart; the cheap fixtures all lacked A/C in/out receptacles.  Some had short A/C in/out cords, but that still meant I'd have to wire up a receptacle box to the par-bar and I really wanted to avoid that.  I ended up getting a pretty good deal on some used Blizzard LP Par Quad RGBA fixtures (legacy product) with Powercons.  The fans are a little noisy, but I'm not doing string quintets!

The popular "DJ" level LED parcan around my neck of the woods is the Chauvet T12 (BT adds bluetooth) for $150.  They are very bright and have a decent pattern for smaller stages, but they are RGB only.  If you want RGBA, RGBW, or RGBWA you'll have to look elsewhere and the prices go up.  If these are going to live in a facility, then you may not care about being able to link the A/C, and that can save you some money.  Monoprice has a decently bright RGBW parcan without A/C linking.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2022, 11:31:18 AM »

Hi BJ, the Chauvet SlimPar Pro H6 has been my go-to for a while as a minimum baseline for general use LED pars.  They get decent color, good (enough) facial light, run silent, and don’t flicker when dimming.  Back before the pricing on everything went nuts these could be had for around $230/ea.  These days I have no clue what a good price would be, but stepping up in quality/performance to ETC/Chauvet Fresnels will easily double your purchase price compared to the SlimPars.  Hope this helps!

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2022, 11:49:29 AM »

I had a bunch of these in the 200w warm white only version that I sold to a church, quite bright, no shadows, powercon in and out and camera friendly apparently as the church regularly live streams thier services. They later added the barn doors for a bit more utility and to keep the light off the backdrop as much as possible.

https://www.shehds.com/products/theater-audience-lights-gorgeous-effect-aluminum-alloy-led-par-cob-200w-cool-white-warm-white-with-barn-doors-lighting-free-shiping

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 10:53:50 PM »

Thanks guys. That gives me a bit to start looking into it.
Cheers. BJ
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Tommy Nikiforov

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2022, 05:51:26 AM »

on the cheaper side id go with some good old fresnels and a dimmerpack or the Varytec LED Theater Spot 250 MZ 3200K which is an led fresnel comparable to about a 1kW oldschool fresnel.
Lighting Designer / Programmer / Operator
ChamSys Alpha tester
Located in Southern Finland

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2022, 02:55:38 PM »

I had a bunch of these in the 200w warm white only version that I sold to a church, quite bright, no shadows, powercon in and out and camera friendly apparently as the church regularly live streams thier services. They later added the barn doors for a bit more utility and to keep the light off the backdrop as much as possible.

https://www.shehds.com/products/theater-audience-lights-gorgeous-effect-aluminum-alloy-led-par-cob-200w-cool-white-warm-white-with-barn-doors-lighting-free-shiping

How are you liking the Shehds products? I have some no name brand led pars I bought like 10 years ago that need some replacing. I was looking at these
https://www.shehds.com/products/aluminum-alloy-led-flat-par-18x18w-lighting-dj-par-cans-dmx-512-light-wash-stage-lighting

https://www.shehds.com/products/aluminum-alloy-led-par-18x12w-rgbw-4in1-led-par-can-par-64-led-spotlight-dj-projector-wash-lighting-stage-lighting

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2022, 05:37:07 PM »

I have been VERY pleased with the American DJ z100 pars.  The 3000K units mix and match perfectly with 1000 Watt pars with a more even light output than the Par can.  The adjustable zoom makes them extremely flexible for usage.

At $450 each, definitely not the cheapest option, but they put out a very good quality light.

On a 30' stage, 4-6 of these lights would provide great wash.
Brian Jojade

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2022, 10:37:29 AM »

I purchased 1 of these to test out against what I have now. If it works well or is comparable to what I have I will pull the trigger on more units.

https://www.shehds.com/products/aluminum-alloy-led-flat-par-18x18w-lighting-dj-par-cans-dmx-512-light-wash-stage-lighting

John L Nobile

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2022, 11:41:07 AM »

I purchased 1 of these to test out against what I have now. If it works well or is comparable to what I have I will pull the trigger on more units.

18 x 18-watt LEDs, Powercon and DMX through for $77.44? How do they do it so cheap? Do they charge you 200 bucks for shipping?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2022, 11:41:07 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.