ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FIR filter sets between DSP platforms  (Read 1415 times)

John durisko

FIR filter sets between DSP platforms
« on: December 14, 2022, 08:53:15 PM »

Hello fellow sound folks,
I want to ask the question and I think this might be the best place to ask.

I have an amplifier file (Crown DCI network) that includes a set of FIR coefficients. It’s possible to export that file and save it as a .csv
Would that .csv be the same file that could load into a different DSP that accepts .csv or would there actually be differences in the actual platform?
Alternatively, is there a software that can read that .csv and be told what it came out of and then I could export into a DSP of choice? You know, a product actually available to order and take delivery of.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
Re: FIR filter sets between DSP platforms
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 12:52:50 PM »

Hello fellow sound folks,
I want to ask the question and I think this might be the best place to ask.

I have an amplifier file (Crown DCI network) that includes a set of FIR coefficients. It’s possible to export that file and save it as a .csv
Would that .csv be the same file that could load into a different DSP that accepts .csv or would there actually be differences in the actual platform?
Alternatively, is there a software that can read that .csv and be told what it came out of and then I could export into a DSP of choice? You know, a product actually available to order and take delivery of.

Except for a gain scale factor a set of FIR coefficients uniquely determines the frequency response of the filter they represent. There is none of the ambiguity that occurs when moving IIR biquad peaking filters represented by center-frequency, gain and width between platforms. So, in general, you’re fine.

The source and target platforms must use the same sampling rate (or the coefficients must be converted) and the target platform must accommodate the number of coefficients (length of the filter). If both source and target use .csv it should be easy. If they use different formats a simple text manipulation program or fiddling in Excel or the like can get it done.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

John durisko

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 05:38:11 PM »

Except for a gain scale factor a set of FIR coefficients uniquely determines the frequency response of the filter they represent. There is none of the ambiguity that occurs when moving IIR biquad peaking filters represented by center-frequency, gain and width between platforms. So, in general, you’re fine.

The source and target platforms must use the same sampling rate (or the coefficients must be converted) and the target platform must accommodate the number of coefficients (length of the filter). If both source and target use .csv it should be easy. If they use different formats a simple text manipulation program or fiddling in Excel or the like can get it done.

--Frank

Thank you. That is what I was looking for. Essentially, as long as both platforms accept a .csv and are running at the same sample rate I should be good. Just clarifying.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 05:38:11 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.