Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Gymatorium Sound System Design

(1/10) > >>

Phil Lewandowski:
Hi all! Been a *long* time since I've been active on here; dates back pre-move to the new forums!

Getting ready to do an install at the school where I work. See attached pictures of a pretty typical, but decently treated, gymatorium.
It is about 100'x80'. Stage is on the shorter side. Small bleachers along the long side.
Pretty high and pitched ceiling with decent sound treatment.

With the 100' length I'm worried about decently even volume, coverage, and intelligibility.
I've thought about properly rigging from the ceiling 6-8 point source boxes throughout the space for a distributed system, or even a line array since we have a pretty high ceiling (though seems like not a good fit). Also am wondering about solutions from Danley.
Main challenges are the space is used for a *wide variety* of events: auction fundraisers, concerts, plays, sports, etc.

Any suggested general system designs that seem to be good places to start with in a gymatorium type space?
(We have a decent budget but I'm always interested in "bang-to-buck" options.)

Thanks!

Mike Caldwell:
I would go with a main system at the stage, delay down fills for floor seating events like in the pictures and four speakers covering the bleacher seating.
DSP presets for different event types.
Subwoofers to being out for concert events.
For game announcements and non live music events a couple wireless mics and an input for a media device on a simple strip mixer, for concerts a left, right, sub feed into the DSP.

A one size fits all system seems to always compromise on something.

Phil Lewandowski:

--- Quote from: Mike Caldwell on December 10, 2022, 08:58:42 PM ---A one size fits all system seems to always compromise on something.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Mike!
That's exactly where my mind kept going as I didn't like any of the "one size fits all systems" I kept thinking about. Which is why I kept leaning towards the type of system you proposed and using presets for people to easily select.

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: Phil Lewandowski on December 10, 2022, 09:37:42 PM ---Thanks Mike!
That's exactly where my mind kept going as I didn't like any of the "one size fits all systems" I kept thinking about. Which is why I kept leaning towards the type of system you proposed and using presets for people to easily select.

--- End quote ---
It would be worth giving Danley a call.  They have tons of experience in exactly this type of install. To my mind, this type of room is all about pattern control.

Matthias McCready:

--- Quote from: Dave Garoutte on December 10, 2022, 10:00:05 PM ---To my mind, this type of room is all about pattern control.

--- End quote ---

And here I thought this room was the perfect space for a genuine "line-array" of some old mismatched JBL eons hung with garden chain.  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version