ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Gymatorium Sound System Design  (Read 6872 times)

Phil Lewandowski

Gymatorium Sound System Design
« on: December 10, 2022, 07:31:56 PM »

Hi all! Been a *long* time since I've been active on here; dates back pre-move to the new forums!

Getting ready to do an install at the school where I work. See attached pictures of a pretty typical, but decently treated, gymatorium.
It is about 100'x80'. Stage is on the shorter side. Small bleachers along the long side.
Pretty high and pitched ceiling with decent sound treatment.

With the 100' length I'm worried about decently even volume, coverage, and intelligibility.
I've thought about properly rigging from the ceiling 6-8 point source boxes throughout the space for a distributed system, or even a line array since we have a pretty high ceiling (though seems like not a good fit). Also am wondering about solutions from Danley.
Main challenges are the space is used for a *wide variety* of events: auction fundraisers, concerts, plays, sports, etc.

Any suggested general system designs that seem to be good places to start with in a gymatorium type space?
(We have a decent budget but I'm always interested in "bang-to-buck" options.)

Thanks!

« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 09:38:04 PM by Phil Lewandowski »

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Gymatorium Sound System Design
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 08:58:42 PM »

I would go with a main system at the stage, delay down fills for floor seating events like in the pictures and four speakers covering the bleacher seating.
DSP presets for different event types.
Subwoofers to being out for concert events.
For game announcements and non live music events a couple wireless mics and an input for a media device on a simple strip mixer, for concerts a left, right, sub feed into the DSP.

A one size fits all system seems to always compromise on something.

Phil Lewandowski

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 09:37:42 PM »

A one size fits all system seems to always compromise on something.

Thanks Mike!
That's exactly where my mind kept going as I didn't like any of the "one size fits all systems" I kept thinking about. Which is why I kept leaning towards the type of system you proposed and using presets for people to easily select.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 10:00:05 PM »

Thanks Mike!
That's exactly where my mind kept going as I didn't like any of the "one size fits all systems" I kept thinking about. Which is why I kept leaning towards the type of system you proposed and using presets for people to easily select.
It would be worth giving Danley a call.  They have tons of experience in exactly this type of install. To my mind, this type of room is all about pattern control.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Matthias McCready

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 10:39:12 AM »

To my mind, this type of room is all about pattern control.

And here I thought this room was the perfect space for a genuine "line-array" of some old mismatched JBL eons hung with garden chain.  :o
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Phil Lewandowski

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2022, 12:42:54 PM »

And here I thought this room was the perfect space for a genuine "line-array" of some old mismatched JBL eons hung with garden chain.  :o

:o :o  :P
Ha, and that's exactly why I volunteered to head up this project even though it isn't technically part of my position at the school.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 04:04:19 PM by Phil Lewandowski »

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2022, 02:59:29 PM »

I would go with a main system at the stage, delay down fills for floor seating events like in the pictures and four speakers covering the bleacher seating.
DSP presets for different event types.

The potential clash I envision is an array at the stage with events held at center court / in the round. As you mentioned, with the right DSP, the delay structure could be set differently for those cases.

I still see a lot of center clusters in those types of rooms.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Phil Lewandowski

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2022, 04:06:16 PM »

The potential clash I envision is an array at the stage with events held at center court / in the round. As you mentioned, with the right DSP, the delay structure could be set differently for those cases.

I still see a lot of center clusters in those types of rooms.

Dave

And by center cluster, do you mean in the very center of the gym itself?
Or a center cluster on the stage end of the room?

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2022, 05:04:27 PM »

And by center cluster, do you mean in the very center of the gym itself?
Or a center cluster on the stage end of the room?

I could see a center gym cluster working for most events short of a concert.
For concerts or major presentations on the stage you would still want a stage main system.
In those cases have a preset that mutes the stage side the center cluster and make the
back side a delay fill.

scottstephens

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2022, 05:57:57 PM »

Phil

Good Luck with selling the properly designed system to the powers that be.  We did one just like that awhile ago and it was somewhere between an "all in one" and a distributed system.  I think we put EV's with 65degree horns on the stage, 1 small sub under the stage, and 3 EV's with the 90 degree horns along the beams covering the seating areas.  It sounds good for what it is. And the sound is directed to the people not the walls. And the ability to use part or all with a good dsp. Our biggest obstacle was a local dj who was good buddies with the administrator who said that he could hang a few behringers and come in at sbout $6K.  Our bid was thousands higher. 

Of course I asked the dj during a board meeting about his insurance, what the safety factors were on his speakers, what size cable he would use for the hang and several other questions and he amazingly couldn't answer any of them. I then looked at the board and said: that's why our bid is what it is.   We had 50% down payment by the end of the week.

Scott

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2022, 05:57:57 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.