ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you tune in to what keynote speakers are saying at corporate events?  (Read 3606 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Do you tune in to what keynote speakers are saying at corporate events?
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2022, 08:42:04 PM »

For the procedure I referenced we joined after it had started, and the doctor was doing live Q&A with a convention of cardiologists at the Waldorf. I had to go while he was operating and put in his IFB earpiece. I was standing in a puddle of blood while I gaff taped over his ear so it wouldn't fall out while he was operating.

Mac

Yup. I think my client was expecting me to do exactly that sort of thing when I first started. I quickly divested them of this idea as that was gonna be a Very Hard No....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2022, 08:54:25 PM »

Yup. I think my client was expecting me to do exactly that sort of thing when I first started. I quickly divested them of this idea as that was gonna be a Very Hard No....

I generally tune out. I assume that you have to sign insider trading agreements?  Tuning out keeps you from thinking about those opportunities.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2022, 11:17:59 PM »

Hell, sometimes I tune out shows that I’m mixing. After a couple hundred you’re just on auto pilot.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2022, 10:25:27 AM »

I was standing in a puddle of blood while I gaff taped over his ear so it wouldn't fall out while he was operating.

Feeling very relieved I mostly do Pharma conferences.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2022, 12:16:32 PM »

My corpy work tends to involve industrial safety or aviation/aerospace.  I've learned a lot from some of the presentations because the concepts apply to lots of things, not just the focus of the conference.  There have been a couple of presenters that had me buying their books online before they were off the stage.  Among my favorite presenters (for lots of reasons) is an industrial psychologist for the FBI, another is a human factors researcher and trainer.

Medical stuff is odd for me... sometimes I can watch surgeries and other procedures without any affect; other times I find myself looking away.  Good thing I'm the fader jockey...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

scottstephens

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2022, 01:02:40 PM »

Matthew,

I am with Erik, I don't listen to their message as much as I listen to the mechanics of the sound. But I will say, if an organization stands for something I am opposed to I will not work for them anyway. I just tell them that I am busy and give them another providers name and number. That has only happened 1 time but it is my policy.  Now, I did refuse to work with a political group once because they didn't want to pay me up front and they ended up stiffing the provider who took the job. I guess they could be "global" but not "local".

Scott

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2022, 01:40:13 PM »

The medical “what gets you” thing is interesting.  My wife is a physician - OBGYN so she does her share of surgery too.  She’s no stranger to blood, guts, and all sorts of other bodily “products.”  She won’t trim/clean meat though.  Always has me do it.  Don’t even get me started on what image of unidentifiable possibly infected viscera they put on the cover of her trade journals each month.  The things should come in brown paper covers!

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2022, 04:21:34 PM »

If it's interesting and well presented, yes absolutely. I have learned a lot over the years about subjects that I would not otherwise be exposed to. It's one of the things that I can honestly say that I miss now that I don't do as many corporate type events. A great speaker can bring (almost) any subject matter to life.

The only exceptions are politics and religion.

Matt

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2022, 07:19:46 PM »

If it's interesting and well presented, yes absolutely. I have learned a lot over the years about subjects that I would not otherwise be exposed to. It's one of the things that I can honestly say that I miss now that I don't do as many corporate type events. A great speaker can bring (almost) any subject matter to life.

The only exceptions are politics and religion.

Matt

Yeah, and for years it was easy to spot the ones we didn't want to work with; there were a few just 'out there' enough we were 'busy'.  These days we steer clear of political events, mostly and require 100% up front payment for campaign work.  We work with various faith communities to produce their governance meetings and associated gatherings but do not work for divisively-oriented (political or religious) public events... which means fewer opportunities, but I sleep better at night.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2022, 03:14:20 PM »

Many years ago we sent a system down to the local convention center for a plastic surgeons conference. Our A1 on the show called the shop at lunch and we asked how's it going and he replied " oh great, it's awesome down here!" Seems the topic of the day was breast reconstructions and these were BIG screens. He called again at the end of the day just before the shop closed. Once again we asked how's it going? He replied " not so good, I feel a little queasy". Apparently the morning sessions had been all the before and after images while the afternoon session had been the 'during' images.

More recently I've done a lot of plastic surgery events. Those slides/videos can be REALLY tough to look at it. I usually just avert my eyes, but when they did a live Botox demo I had to really "distance myself" and I was still really uncomfortable. I have a needle phobia and something about being in the same room with the actual procedure just really put me over the edge.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 08:55:32 AM by Riley Casey »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2022, 03:14:20 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.