Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

Do you tune in to what keynote speakers are saying at corporate events?

(1/10) > >>

Matthew Whitman:
It's easy to focus only on technical issues when someone gets up to speak for 45 minutes, but do you ever concentrate on the content of a speech and try to absorb it?

I figure if I'm there behind the console, I may as well take the opportunity get something extra from the experience, to expand my mind and learn something.

We've likely all seen some pretty smart, successful people speak at corporate events, and I'm wondering if anyone else chooses to tune in when possible as if they were part of the intended audience.

Erik Jerde:
I don’t.  I listen to the quality of the voice so I can identify problems but not to the content.  I don’t want to get distracted and miss a cue.

John L Nobile:
I haven't done a lot of corporate events but the hardest thing for me was to stay awake. All those speeches were so boring.

Jeremy Young:
I get queezy around any sort of talk to do with blood or just how the body works.  Might figure out why one day, but for now I know I’ll never be a successful doctor. 

I did an event for cardiologists once that involved slides of arteries and I almost fainted at one point and had to briefly leave the room to get fresh air.   I try not to pay too much attention anymore. 

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: Matthew Whitman on December 08, 2022, 02:53:20 PM ---We've likely all seen some pretty smart, successful people speak at corporate events, and I'm wondering if anyone else chooses to tune in when possible as if they were part of the intended audience.

--- End quote ---

Yes. I now only do corporate events, for a large financial organization. Many times the speeches are about arcane financial topics that have no meaning to me and I am able to listen only for eq and dynamics issues. Also many times I find the speeches fascinating and I am able to pay attention to the content as well as the audio quality. Fortunately we do a series of events that are just "fireside chats" between two people in a good sounding auditorium that have little to do with the finance industry. Often they are heads of other companies, or political figures and can be quite interesting.

Mac

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version