ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Trend  (Read 913 times)

Jim McKeveny

Power Trend
« on: December 08, 2022, 01:52:56 PM »

Because of manufacturing ease and regional compliance issues, I observe that we are seeing a lot of throttling back output power in mid-line music market offerings, from 30 milliwatts down to 10 milliwatts. (There is also a battery life benefit I imagine).

Does the move to a digital signal vs. analog make this somewhat a moot point?

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
Re: Power Trend
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 02:50:12 PM »

Because of manufacturing ease and regional compliance issues, I observe that we are seeing a lot of throttling back output power in mid-line music market offerings, from 30 milliwatts down to 10 milliwatts. (There is also a battery life benefit I imagine).

Does the move to a digital signal vs. analog make this somewhat a moot point?

You hit the three main points exactly. A fourth point worthy of consideration is that, all else being equal, a well designed digital system at 10mW will have nearly the same usable range as a 30mW analog system.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 05:47:37 PM »

You hit the three main points exactly. A fourth point worthy of consideration is that, all else being equal, a well designed digital system at 10mW will have nearly the same usable range as a 30mW analog system.

I don't know the math behind this [and I'm sure Henry does] but this has certainly been my experience in the field for the last decade or so.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 07:12:57 PM »

{...} a well designed digital system at 10mW will have nearly the same usable range as a 30mW analog system.

I always find it amazing how much more noise-resistant transmission systems (wired or wireless) are when the receiving end knows exactly what patterns of information it should be looking for (that there are some modes which will work below the noise floor boggles my mind completely).

-Russ

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 09:00:59 PM »

I always find it amazing how much more noise-resistant transmission systems (wired or wireless) are when the receiving end knows exactly what patterns of information it should be looking for (that there are some modes which will work below the noise floor boggles my mind completely).

-Russ

Range and throughput is a function of error rate.  With robust error correction looking for packets in the noise floor becomes simpler.  The receiver is expecting bits to be in a certain place, checking to see if the data is present is simpler work.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 09:00:59 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.