ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Snake Basic Understanding  (Read 1584 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Digital Snake Basic Understanding
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2022, 05:22:36 PM »

This makes the mixrack far more versatile as it can be used "headless" with a tablet or convertible computer.  Surprisingly the Midas M32C has the same capability as does the now defunct x32 core.  These are 1U totally headless mixers and are incredibly versatile as they are sub $1000 on the street.

While the M32C (or X32 rack!) can be full function headless mixers, the sad thing is that with the X32/M32 line is that you cannot use a desk as a remote control for another mixer.  If you want a physical desk, you have to route the audio to the desk.

It theoretically would be possible for them to write the firmware so a desk could control another desk, but they haven't made that available.  There is/was a third party solution that does do that, but I've never used it. The X-Touch also does it quite well.  Just not a full console.

The huge advantage of not sending audio all the way to FOH is pretty clear in that any problem with the connection means audio stops if it's got to take that path.  Leaving processing on stage means loss of FOH connection just means loss of control from that location, but the show doesn't get interrupted.
Brian Jojade

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2022, 05:25:52 PM »

I've never used it, but I believe the M32C needs some sort of external I/O box to function properly, doesn't it? The D-Live Mixracks have I/O built in, so they can work standalone as long as you're using an iPad or PC to control it.

There is a "DM0" d-live rack that has no Analog I/O built in so it's the same basic concept as the M32C, just way more of it.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2022, 05:39:47 PM »

Thanks to everyone for their response. My question was clearly answered.
Does anyone know if a shielded Cat6a ethercon cable is a good choice to use with the QU series? Is there a preferred category choice of cable?

For my QU's I use CBI CAT5E Ultimate Cat shielded, with Benringer Midas shielded is not an option, it's needed.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2022, 06:20:05 PM »

When using a QU mixer with AR2412, does the QU or the AR2412 supply the 48v phantom power?

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2022, 06:26:32 PM »

For my QU's I use CBI CAT5E Ultimate Cat shielded, with Benringer Midas shielded is not an option, it's needed.

Thanks Mike, When I ordered my AR2412 from Mike Pyle he recommended the CBI Cat5e, so that's what I got.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2022, 06:38:51 PM »

And with Behringer/Midas, they specify shielded cat5e. Cat 6 is specifically EXCLUDED from their allowed spec, although they say it 'should' work if you have no other choice.  If you use it and it doesn't work, they'll tell you to put in the specified cable.

I've used both Cat5e and cat 6 shielded and haven't had any issues with either.
Brian Jojade

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2022, 06:55:47 PM »

Does anyone know if a shielded Cat6a ethercon cable is a good choice to use with the QU series? Is there a preferred category choice of cable?
Why not follow the manufacturer recommendations (your protocol is DSnake, by the way)

My experience, and that of others I've worked with, is that dSnake (QU/SQ) is *much* more forgiving of cable abuse/spec then AES50 (X32/M32) - but I'd still follow the manufacturer's spec.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2022, 07:07:57 PM »

When using a QU mixer with AR2412, does the QU or the AR2412 supply the 48v phantom power?

The phantom power is supplied from the stage box.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2022, 08:11:15 PM »

Cat5e STP is rated for 100m maximum length.  Cat6 STP is only rated to 80m — presumably due to its higher twist count.  As long as you’re within those limits either should work fine.   We installed Cat6 STP with our venue remodel and have had zero problems.

Those length specs usually apply to Ethernet. Not all digital snakes use Ethernet, and my have different length specs.

Mac

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2022, 08:48:12 PM »

Robert, glad you are getting something out of the discussion.  However based on this question you still don't get it and we have more explaining to do.

Your stage box converts to digital.  A digital signal is an aggregate of every channel, you can't send DC across it, the cable has data in and data out connections, that's it.  Based on this the phantom must come from the analog side which is in the stage box.  The mixer sends a message to the stage box to turn on phantom power on a specific channel.

Is that clearer?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2022, 08:48:12 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.