Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

What To Do With 90 Aluminum Par56 Cans?

(1/3) > >>

John Schalk:
My cousin has an A/V business (weddings, corporate functions, etc) and, while he now owns cases of LED parcans, he has about 90 aluminum par56 cans with 300 watt MFLs that he doesn't use anymore.  They have edison connectors and do not have C-clamps and the question is, what can my cousin do with them?  Is there even a market for incandescent parcans anymore?  If there is, can someone point me in the right direction.  Can he try donating them to a school or church or are they worth the price of scrap aluminum now?  Basically he wants to reclaim the space these are taking up in his shop, so I'm hoping someone here has a suggestion for what to do with them.

Brian Jojade:
Pretty low demand for them right now, as everyone is buying LEDs for obvious reasons, even though they can be significantly more expensive.

Depending on the condition, you can maybe still sell them for around $20 a piece, if you're patient and wait for the right buyer. Probably will only sell a couple at a time to each buyer though, and shipping would make the cost unreasonable.

Selling the bulk lot is probably not going to get much. There's a listing on eBay right now, 78 cans with lamps with a starting bid of $500 an no takers.

Taking the lamps out and selling a box of lamps may be easier to do, as lamps are getting harder to find.

It starts to become a question of whether it's worth the effort of trying to sell them vs just taking them to the scrap yard.

Tim Weaver:
I ran over one with a scissor lift just to watch it die.

I don't really have any help for you. I just like to hear myself talk sometimes.....

John Schalk:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on December 07, 2022, 11:01:57 PM ---I ran over one with a scissor lift just to watch it die.

I don't really have any help for you. I just like to hear myself talk sometimes.....

--- End quote ---
No worries, I figured my post for a shot in the dark.  I've seen a few listings for "Pete's Lights" rigs on FB Marketplaces, with no takers.  Selling the lamps separately might be the best option.

Any thoughts on listing them as "free to good home"?  The main problem I see with that is dealing with all of the tire kickers, but are there any other traps?

Jeff Lelko:
Hi John, I'm sure you can find a school, church, or community theater that would greatly accept a donation.  Depending on how you categorize your business you might be able to get a tax write-off for the donation, but otherwise I don't think you'll get much actual money for these.  Oftentimes as I think you know the shop space is more valuable than the equipment being stored!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version