ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: What To Do With 90 Aluminum Par56 Cans?  (Read 2712 times)

John Schalk

What To Do With 90 Aluminum Par56 Cans?
« on: December 07, 2022, 05:49:10 PM »

My cousin has an A/V business (weddings, corporate functions, etc) and, while he now owns cases of LED parcans, he has about 90 aluminum par56 cans with 300 watt MFLs that he doesn't use anymore.  They have edison connectors and do not have C-clamps and the question is, what can my cousin do with them?  Is there even a market for incandescent parcans anymore?  If there is, can someone point me in the right direction.  Can he try donating them to a school or church or are they worth the price of scrap aluminum now?  Basically he wants to reclaim the space these are taking up in his shop, so I'm hoping someone here has a suggestion for what to do with them.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: What To Do With 90 Aluminum Par56 Cans?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 06:48:55 PM »

Pretty low demand for them right now, as everyone is buying LEDs for obvious reasons, even though they can be significantly more expensive.

Depending on the condition, you can maybe still sell them for around $20 a piece, if you're patient and wait for the right buyer. Probably will only sell a couple at a time to each buyer though, and shipping would make the cost unreasonable.

Selling the bulk lot is probably not going to get much. There's a listing on eBay right now, 78 cans with lamps with a starting bid of $500 an no takers.

Taking the lamps out and selling a box of lamps may be easier to do, as lamps are getting harder to find.

It starts to become a question of whether it's worth the effort of trying to sell them vs just taking them to the scrap yard.
Brian Jojade

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 11:01:57 PM »

I ran over one with a scissor lift just to watch it die.

I don't really have any help for you. I just like to hear myself talk sometimes.....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

John Schalk

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 11:15:36 PM »

I ran over one with a scissor lift just to watch it die.

I don't really have any help for you. I just like to hear myself talk sometimes.....
No worries, I figured my post for a shot in the dark.  I've seen a few listings for "Pete's Lights" rigs on FB Marketplaces, with no takers.  Selling the lamps separately might be the best option.

Any thoughts on listing them as "free to good home"?  The main problem I see with that is dealing with all of the tire kickers, but are there any other traps?

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 12:02:26 AM »

Hi John, I'm sure you can find a school, church, or community theater that would greatly accept a donation.  Depending on how you categorize your business you might be able to get a tax write-off for the donation, but otherwise I don't think you'll get much actual money for these.  Oftentimes as I think you know the shop space is more valuable than the equipment being stored!

John L Nobile

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 10:38:55 AM »

I've got a couple of dozen old PAR 64 cans that I'm never going to use. I'm just going to let the scrap guy pick them up.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2022, 10:06:01 PM »

I sold a lot of empty 56 and 64 cans to customers that attach porcelain screw base light sockets to the screen in the par cans.  They wired the sockets to the edison cables and installed LED R or PAR lamps.  Several types of clients love them for the "look" of a theatrical or concert light but with current draw and low heat of an LED.  I'm pretty certain they won't pass UL listings, but the look good.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 08:08:27 AM »

My cousin has an A/V business (weddings, corporate functions, etc) and, while he now owns cases of LED parcans, he has about 90 aluminum par56 cans with 300 watt MFLs that he doesn't use anymore.  They have edison connectors and do not have C-clamps and the question is, what can my cousin do with them?  Is there even a market for incandescent parcans anymore?  If there is, can someone point me in the right direction.  Can he try donating them to a school or church or are they worth the price of scrap aluminum now?  Basically he wants to reclaim the space these are taking up in his shop, so I'm hoping someone here has a suggestion for what to do with them.

I kept 8 to use on some small shows that happen here early March. They heat up the inside of a box truck really nice.. ;D

James Feenstra

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2022, 01:02:57 PM »

I scraped a few dozen par 64s a few years ago. If I recall correctly I got about $2-3 each for the aluminum.

Easiest way to get rid of them. I tried to sell them for months on various sites (kijiji, ebay, etc) for ~$15-20 each and had no bites
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 09:12:22 AM »

We made a big pile of them on our back dock *some still on the 6-bars* after selling about 4 dozen as garden planters (I guess it's the industrial look).  I think we had 240 of them.  The truss has more value than the fixtures.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Schalk

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2023, 09:52:43 AM »

The truss has more value than the fixtures.
My cousin's parcans are stored in four large road cases.  I think he was using them mainly as individual fixtures for up lighting and other "room decoration" use cases before he switched to LED pars.  He can't bring himself to scrap them yet.  I did suggest that he take a few to the local community theater group to see if they will take them off of his hands.  I shared this thread with him, so thanks for the responses everybody.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2023, 02:29:26 PM »

Make floor or pendant lamps by adding E26 sockets

I've been meaning to make a few and haven't had time

Give them to a local artist to make something cool if you can't figure it out. Artsy folk are always looking for materials and inspiration.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

John Schalk

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2023, 09:48:40 AM »

Give them to a local artist to make something cool if you can't figure it out. Artsy folk are always looking for materials and inspiration.
I wonder if our local Habitat for Humanity Restore would take them?  As we all know, the issue with listing something as "free" brings in all kinds of hassles, but since my cousin can't bring himself to scrap his parcans, maybe giving them to a non-theatrical charity is something he would consider.

John L Nobile

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2023, 10:39:33 AM »

Leave them outside with a sign that says "For Sale $100.00" and someone will steal them. If you put a sign that says "Free" no one will take them.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2023, 10:39:33 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.