ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Limited 240v outlets  (Read 4867 times)

Jim McKeveny

Re: Limited 240v outlets
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2022, 02:17:45 PM »

A class D amplifier can deliver slightly higher efficiency than a well executed class G/H multi rail amp..

Is it only marginal? Seems most of prosound has embraced class D v. G/H.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2022, 04:46:35 PM »

Is it only marginal? Seems most of prosound has embraced class D v. G/H.

I did a deep dive on my test bench last century measuring amplifier efficiency, while looking for a marketing hook to help sell Peavey's digital amplifiers. Peavey was ahead of the market back then but the technology was still evolving. On paper and in theory Class D will always deliver better efficiency than other classes of amplifiers...... BUT sound reinforcement music is not always playing steady state tones. Different duty cycles of music power can favor different topology amplifiers.

Caveat I was dealing with technology SOTA for some 25-30 years ago. Modern class D has gotten much better and a lot cheaper since then. I don't recall enough of my data share details but the bottom line was I could not make a compelling marketing argument for buying class D amps and paying a premium over other cheaper topologies. Nowadays the cost premium for class D amps has pretty much evaporated. I wish I had this technology to sell back when I was in the marketing trenches.

The bottom line for today... Modern Class D amps are smaller, lighter, cheaper, with equal or better efficiency.

JR       
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2022, 05:09:03 PM »

I did a deep dive on my test bench last century measuring amplifier efficiency, while looking for a marketing hook to help sell Peavey's digital amplifiers. Peavey was ahead of the market back then but the technology was still evolving. On paper and in theory Class D will always deliver better efficiency than other classes of amplifiers...... BUT sound reinforcement music is not always playing steady state tones. Different duty cycles of music power can favor different topology amplifiers.

Caveat I was dealing with technology SOTA for some 25-30 years ago. Modern class D has gotten much better and a lot cheaper since then. I don't recall enough of my data share details but the bottom line was I could not make a compelling marketing argument for buying class D amps and paying a premium over other cheaper topologies. Nowadays the cost premium for class D amps has pretty much evaporated. I wish I had this technology to sell back when I was in the marketing trenches.

The bottom line for today... Modern Class D amps are smaller, lighter, cheaper, with equal or better efficiency.

JR       

Agreed. With a lot more data points of experience, and better understanding of real-world duty cycles,  the latest generation of class D amps is very good. This could not happen without SMD and wise PCB layout. The marketplace seems less competitive, so I do not see those cost savings necessarily trickling down to the end user...so much.

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2022, 01:47:09 AM »

Agreed. With a lot more data points of experience, and better understanding of real-world duty cycles,  the latest generation of class D amps is very good. This could not happen without SMD and wise PCB layout. The marketplace seems less competitive, so I do not see those cost savings necessarily trickling down to the end user...so much.
In my judgement the breakthroughs that made modern class D amps good and cheap are twofold. First switching semiconductor device technology advanced to give us higher voltage devices with high current in single packages. Class D output device do not parallel easily. The second technology advancement is chip sets with all the glue needed to turn a couple monster power devices into a sweet amp.

This is mostly speculation on my part since I tapped out before the industry delivered the technology to make class D cheaper, in addition to its other benefits. 

JR

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2022, 12:21:48 PM »

In my judgement the breakthroughs that made modern class D amps good and cheap are twofold. First switching semiconductor device technology advanced to give us higher voltage devices with high current in single packages. Class D output device do not parallel easily. The second technology advancement is chip sets with all the glue needed to turn a couple monster power devices into a sweet amp.

This is mostly speculation on my part since I tapped out before the industry delivered the technology to make class D cheaper, in addition to its other benefits. 

JR

John, do you find yourself missing design work?  IIRC the last 'real' project was your drum tuner, and the brief foray into electrical outlet testing (which is  a device that should have a manufacturer).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2022, 12:44:56 PM »

John, do you find yourself missing design work?  IIRC the last 'real' project was your drum tuner, and the brief foray into electrical outlet testing (which is  a device that should have a manufacturer).
I am old and tired... I loved design (as a creative outlet) but not the dealing with customers or safety agency approval.

I thought my outlet tester could be a really useful tool, but I am not willing to spend a few ten $k to make UL happy, and then spend more to tool up a SKU that needs to retail for $9.99 . It would take me multiple lifetimes to ever break even.

JR

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2022, 05:51:22 PM »

I am old and tired... I loved design (as a creative outlet) but not the dealing with customers or safety agency approval.

I thought my outlet tester could be a really useful tool, but I am not willing to spend a few ten $k to make UL happy, and then spend more to tool up a SKU that needs to retail for $9.99 . It would take me multiple lifetimes to ever break even.

JR

I recall that discussion here and understood why you didn't take it up as a finished product.  Great ideas are far less expensive than the actual process of turning ideas into commercial products. /choir preaching

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jon Yeater

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2022, 03:13:33 PM »

Hello all! I have a quick question I can't seem to get a solid answer on. Basically I run sound for a lot of "on the fly" underground shows where the power is less than desirable. I have four Meyer Sound DS4P mid bass cabs that require 240v 20amp circuits and when I request said receptacle at the "venue" I see a lot of blank stairs... I've also requested a 50a range outlet to run to my spider box which of course takes care of this but that's met with more confusion and a strong no as well. So I'm left with 120v Edisons and generators (which aren't something a lot of these guys are willing to pay for).
So a solution in my mind would be a step up transformer but I wanted to get your opinions. Is that a good solution to lug around? If I did get one I'm not even sure where to look. All the transformers on eBay are for small electronics and are all euro plugs ...

Thank you in advance - Dan

Personally, if I am bringing my own equipment, I try to never use house outlets.  My work box has a collection of breakers that will fit almost any panel.  I plug the breaker onto the venue's main panel and run my AC distro from it.  Not only does this ensure that I always have plenty of power for the gear I brought, but also saves me from the headaches that arise from poor house wiring.

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2022, 03:53:44 PM »

Personally, if I am bringing my own equipment, I try to never use house outlets.  My work box has a collection of breakers that will fit almost any panel.  I plug the breaker onto the venue's main panel and run my AC distro from it.  Not only does this ensure that I always have plenty of power for the gear I brought, but also saves me from the headaches that arise from poor house wiring.
Are your breakers GFCI/RCD? that would be icing on the cake.....

JR

Daniel Martini

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2022, 04:24:25 PM »

Nice! Yes that would be an optimal situation however I really don't have much electrical knowledge outside of making cables and plugging in a CS 50a twist lock to my distro lol. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2022, 04:24:25 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.