Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Limited 240v outlets

(1/7) > >>

Daniel Martini:
Hello all! I have a quick question I can't seem to get a solid answer on. Basically I run sound for a lot of "on the fly" underground shows where the power is less than desirable. I have four Meyer Sound DS4P mid bass cabs that require 240v 20amp circuits and when I request said receptacle at the "venue" I see a lot of blank stairs... I've also requested a 50a range outlet to run to my spider box which of course takes care of this but that's met with more confusion and a strong no as well. So I'm left with 120v Edisons and generators (which aren't something a lot of these guys are willing to pay for).
So a solution in my mind would be a step up transformer but I wanted to get your opinions. Is that a good solution to lug around? If I did get one I'm not even sure where to look. All the transformers on eBay are for small electronics and are all euro plugs ...

Thank you in advance - Dan

Steve-White:
Run them on 120V.

John Roberts {JR}:
You will need robust 115v service

JR

Brian Jojade:

--- Quote from: Daniel Martini on December 06, 2022, 01:30:47 AM --- I have four Meyer Sound DS4P mid bass cabs that require 240v 20amp circuits
So a solution in my mind would be a step up transformer but I wanted to get your opinions. Is that a good solution to lug around? If I did get one I'm not even sure where to look. All the transformers on eBay are for small electronics and are all euro plugs ...

Thank you in advance - Dan

--- End quote ---

As Steve posted, you can run those speakers off of a 120v service.  You should under most scenarios be able to drive 2 speakers off of  a single 20 amp circuit, unless you're driving the subs stupid hard.  In that case, one per circuit would be perfectly OK.

Since you can run them off of 120v a step up transformer gains you exactly nothing. In fact, there will be a percentage loss in available power because transformers are typically only about 95% efficient.  You'd need 1 step up transformer for each speaker, as running 2 off of a single 20 amp circuit would be putting you pretty close to capacity even at continuous RMS, let alone peak. 

It is pretty mind blowing that anything that considers itself a venue doesn't have some sort of higher current power available, but that's another discussion completely.

Daniel Martini:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on December 06, 2022, 02:22:21 PM ---
D'oh! God I must have read that spec sheet 100 times and missed that they were switching amps ha. Thank you guys! Will be running two per 20a circuit and i usually don't ever push them (they get honky quite easily).

And Brian in regards to your venue comment I wouldn't consider a lot of these places venues either haha. More like office spaces/warehouses real down n dirty stuff .

Appreciate the help all!
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version