ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vestibule feeds  (Read 1279 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Vestibule feeds
« on: December 05, 2022, 03:16:04 PM »

I am running an SQ7 into QSC K12 mains.  I also feed vestibule speakers-JBL Control 25-1's powered by dedicated amps.  When I set things up at pre-show/service prelude volumes to be good everywhere-when the program volume gets loud it is too loud in the vestibules-to the point I blew a speaker.

I can eventually sort this out but would prefer not to go through speakers like they are free. How do I get the volume to scale proportionally?  My first guess is compression?
Steve Swaffer

Matthias McCready

Re: Vestibule feeds
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 04:22:05 PM »

I am running an SQ7 into QSC K12 mains.  I also feed vestibule speakers-JBL Control 25-1's powered by dedicated amps.  When I set things up at pre-show/service prelude volumes to be good everywhere-when the program volume gets loud it is too loud in the vestibules-to the point I blew a speaker.

I can eventually sort this out but would prefer not to go through speakers like they are free. How do I get the volume to scale proportionally?  My first guess is compression?

Here is how I would approach this:

Groups and Matrices.

Depending on your inputs I might do something like so:

Group 1: Band (Any instruments)
Group 2: Vox (Any vocals)
Group 3: Speech (any speaking mics)
group 4; Playback (iTunes, Video inputs) probably skip this for your world, and put these inputs in the Speech group.

For your Matrix:
1. Mains: You can have your groups send at unity.
2. Vest: For your Vestibule, send Band/Vox 15-20dB quieter than speech.

---

Essentially you wanting to create a separate mix that would probably only has 6-12dB of variation in program material.

Make sense?
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 06:27:20 PM »

Depending on how many open auxes you have on the mixer you may want to just set up
a post fade aux for the feed and set the send levels for any music/band inputs 15db or so less then the spoken word mic input.

The mentioned group sub mixing via the matrix works as well, if you do use groups that also feed into the main LR mix you need to un assign any channel from the main LR mix and just to the group.

Also put a fairly hard compressor on the feed and most certainly apply a high pass filter to the feed as well maybe around 125/150hz, those Control 25's only have a 5 inch woofer in them!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 06:27:20 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.