ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you connect a stereo keyboard to the JBL PRX ONE?  (Read 672 times)

Frankie DeBarge

How do you connect a stereo keyboard to the JBL PRX ONE?
« on: December 04, 2022, 01:38:55 PM »

Are all the input channels capable of accepting a TRS stereo input instrument, (stereo keyboard), and not cause audio phase cancellation? Or am I just restricted to channel 7, (Aux in)?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 02:22:00 PM »

Are all the input channels capable of accepting a TRS stereo input instrument, (stereo keyboard), and not cause audio phase cancellation? Or am I just restricted to channel 7, (Aux in)?

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
Re: How do you connect a stereo keyboard to the JBL PRX ONE?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 07:55:27 PM »

I think this is the answer you are looking for. The four XLR combo and two 1/4" input jacks are TRS balanced inputs - NOT stereo inputs.  The 7th 3.5mm jack is intended for a stereo input and sums the stereo signals to a single mono signal.  If you input a stereo 1/4" TRS signal from a keyboard headphone jack (or any stereo headphone output) into the combo or 1/4" TRS jacks, the balancing circuitry will cancel anything that is common to both channels and only the difference between the L/R channels will be amplified.  You can input both L and R output from a TRS stereo output separately with a cable that "splits" the stereo signal to two 1/4" (Left and Right) TS jacks into any combinations of the combo and TRS 1/4" jacks to control the L and R outputs independently.  An example would be a "split" keyboard with the bass sound on the Left side and the lead sounds on the Right portion of the split keyboard and needing different levels and equalization for the two parts.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2022, 08:38:58 PM »

Just use whatever output on the keyboard is dedicated to mono, a L/Mono output, for example, and use one of the combo jack on inputs one through four, if available.  Once it hits the PRX One, nothing you do will ever make it a stereo signal again, so you might as well use the mono output. Unless, of course, you really need stereo, in which case you'll need to use an outboard mixer and a second PRX One and will likely have all the inputs you need there.
This space for rent

Frankie DeBarge

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 09:41:45 PM »

Thanks! My keyboard has left and right 1/4" outputs, and I was thinking of using an 1/4" insert cable, (which is a "Y" left and right cable going into a single stereo TRS). But I saw that the only input on the JBL PRX ONE for a stereo source is the 1/8" on the aux in.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 09:41:45 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.