Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

X32 at Monitors as Master

(1/2) > >>

John L Nobile:
I had a weird (to me) request tonight from the BE. He wanted the X32 at monitor world to control the gain. I'm using a DL32 as stagebox. So I set the X32 monitor as internal clock and the X32 FOH as AES50A. Lights are all green and the minitor board controls channel gain. The FOH board has +/- 18 db of digital gain.

The problem was that I couldn't figure out how to get the FOH board to control the outputs of the DL32. I tried a bunch of things but gave up and just used the returns on my analog snake. In retrospect I probably should have just used my analog snake/splitter but I thought this would be simple. I think my main problem was that I couldn't wrap my head around why someone would want the monitor board to be the master. Something to do with their new IEM system.

Can someone point me in the right direction as to how I could have gotten the FOH board to control the DL32 outputs? I know I'm probably missing something simple.

Brian Adams:
Are you running the AES50 for your FOH X32 through the Mon X32? If so, route the outputs from your FOH console out of AES50A. When it gets to your monitor console, presumably on AES50B, route those signals coming in on AES50B signals out of AES50A.

As far as I know, the stagebox will always use AES50A 1-16 for its XLR outputs.

Personally, I prefer an analog split. Gain sharing is the worst.

John L Nobile:

--- Quote from: Brian Adams on December 03, 2022, 08:39:34 PM ---Are you running the AES50 for your FOH X32 through the Mon X32? If so, route the outputs from your FOH console out of AES50A. When it gets to your monitor console, presumably on AES50B, route those signals coming in on AES50B signals out of AES50A.

As far as I know, the stagebox will always use AES50A 1-16 for its XLR outputs.

Personally, I prefer an analog split. Gain sharing is the worst.

--- End quote ---

I had the Mon on internal sync and the FOH on AES50A. Should I have set the Mon to AES50A and FOH to AES50B? I don't spend much time on the X32 anymore and what I did know about it, I forgot over Covid.

I'll use a split next time but I can't imagine it happening again. Unless this band comes back.

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: John L Nobile on December 03, 2022, 07:33:02 PM ---{...} I think my main problem was that I couldn't wrap my head around why someone would want the monitor board to be the master. {...}

--- End quote ---

I've done it both ways, and it often comes down to who is actually using all the channels (i.e. with wedges it probably makes more sense for FOH to have gain control, since monitor world probably won't be doing much with inputs like drum overheads, but with IEMs it might make more sense for monitors to have gain control since FOH isn't going to see or care about inputs like stage talkback or audience mics).

--- Quote from: John L Nobile on December 03, 2022, 11:01:44 PM ---I had the Mon on internal sync and the FOH on AES50A. {...}

--- End quote ---

My question (and, I think, Brian's too) is not about how the devices were synchronized, but how were they physically connected (i.e. FOH AES50-A was plugged int X, monitor AES50-A was plugged into Y, etc.)?

-Russ

Matthew Knischewsky:

--- Quote from: John L Nobile on December 03, 2022, 07:33:02 PM ---I I think my main problem was that I couldn't wrap my head around why someone would want the monitor board to be the master. Something to do with their new IEM system.

--- End quote ---

If you have to share gains between Monitors and FOH it makes the most sense to have the monitor console control them IMO. More practical as they're close to the stage/patch, they're likely to be doing any troubleshooting, and changing the gain will have more impact for carefully crafted monitor mixes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version