ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound level revisited (again, and again...)  (Read 1508 times)

Scott Bolt

Re: Sound level revisited (again, and again...)
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2022, 04:54:53 PM »

I didn't watch the video yet, but most small venues implement policies and equipment in misguided pursuit of simple answers and solutions.

The problem is things are too damn loud for the venue, either objectively or subjectively.  The use of SPL data, no matter how scaled or collected, is an attempt to make objective that which is also subjective, i.e. if you don't like the music, it's always too loud.

As I used to explain to bar bands, the licenses on the walls are not there for "you to pimp your 'art', the licenses permit the bar to put liquor in a glass, maybe sell some food, and hopefully make a profit."  If a band performs or behaves in ways that interfere with that revenue generation they are sabotaging return bookings.
This exactly!

If you are keeping the drinks and food flowing, the bar owner could care less if you are making the weight staff deaf :) 

It is about making money in a bar.  If people are there to see you and they are ordering all night ..... anything you do is good.

Now, if you sound like crap (for any reason) it is unlikely the bar will be full or be making money.  If the people in the bar aren't there to hear you (if they are there to eat and talk to one another as an example), then almost any volume is "too loud"

John L Nobile

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2022, 05:03:56 PM »

I've found that in a bar the band is too loud when the bartender can't hear the orders from customers and servers.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2022, 05:22:13 PM »

I've found that in a bar the band is too loud!

Fixed it for ya.  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2022, 07:20:48 PM »

This exactly!

If you are keeping the drinks and food flowing, the bar owner could care less if you are making the weight staff deaf :) 

It is about making money in a bar.  If people are there to see you and they are ordering all night ..... anything you do is good.

Now, if you sound like crap (for any reason) it is unlikely the bar will be full or be making money.  If the people in the bar aren't there to hear you (if they are there to eat and talk to one another as an example), then almost any volume is "too loud"

That is correct.  I spent a few years doing rock bands in clubs.  If the band has a good draw in an area and they will if they kick ass it's on.  Pack the house, the bodies absorb some of the energy around the bar area and the wait staff and bartenders (along with club owner) are making bank.  They don't care if it's loud, my tinnitus is testimony to that.  :)

Band needs a formula that goes CHA CHING and you'll be busy in the clubs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2022, 07:20:48 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.