ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha CZR series, and/or lightweight monitors.  (Read 1416 times)

Ben Johnson

• Chicago suburbs.
Yamaha CZR series, and/or lightweight monitors.
« on: December 02, 2022, 02:25:14 PM »

Hi all.  Does anybody have anything good or bad to say about the Yamaha CZR10 or 12 for monitors?  They seem to meet my requirements (listed below) but I don't see much posted about them.

I'm looking for 4x monitors for my PAC.  We have bigger Meyer powered wedges for larger groups and rider acceptability, this is just for smaller events where 80 pound wedges may be overkill.  We also have 4 amp channels per room in place, with lots of speakons around the room.  But the speakons only have 1+- wired, not pair 2, since it was 1/4" jacks when the building was built and the speakon jacks were a retrofit.  So I'd like something passive, on pair 1, with no external processing.

I could do the yamaha club series without carpet, and I had been looking at JBLPRX12Ms, but I like the idea of horns that rotate for occasional use on a tripod.

Any thoughts, good or bad?
"The sigfile.  Where people share their wisdom about life and the human condition, usually by quoting somebody else." -Me.

Mal Brown

Re: Yamaha CZR series, and/or lightweight monitors.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 02:34:27 PM »

If you have not yet auditoned the dhr-12m  you should.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Thomas Le

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 03:09:03 PM »

Or in this case the CHR12M which is a passive version.

Steve Crump

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 04:04:11 PM »

Hi all.  Does anybody have anything good or bad to say about the Yamaha CZR10 or 12 for monitors?  They seem to meet my requirements (listed below) but I don't see much posted about them.

I'm looking for 4x monitors for my PAC.  We have bigger Meyer powered wedges for larger groups and rider acceptability, this is just for smaller events where 80 pound wedges may be overkill.  We also have 4 amp channels per room in place, with lots of speakons around the room.  But the speakons only have 1+- wired, not pair 2, since it was 1/4" jacks when the building was built and the speakon jacks were a retrofit.  So I'd like something passive, on pair 1, with no external processing.

I could do the yamaha club series without carpet, and I had been looking at JBLPRX12Ms, but I like the idea of horns that rotate for occasional use on a tripod.

I bought a pair to try out for FOH in small productions and have never really used them for that purpose, but I have used them for monitors twice. I had a show for a seven pc (all veteran musicians) outdoors and the bassist is really hard of hearing, so he was my guinea pig for the first use mostly because he is brutally honest and hard to please. At the end of the night, I asked him what he thought, and he said, "I heard everything just fine". Not really an endorsement but at least I didn't get some negative comment. The other time was outdoors at a community event, I threw one on stage because I was short on wedges, band said it all sounded great.

I did a listening test with a musician friend of mine this year when I was dusting things off to get ready for the local brew fest. I put the CZR10 on a stand and used the Yamaha presets, powering with the same amp and compared them to a homebrew wedge that I made using a 12" Celestion coaxial speaker. We both thought the difference in clarity and/or quality/dynamics was really not there or worth a discussion. Meaning both sounded great, but the Yamaha didn't sound any better or any worse than the homebrew. 

I am going to set them up at our local theatre this year for FOH (only 150 seats) for the Christmas celebration, I will report back on how they work for that production.

I just like the speaker as for as a great utility speaker, easy grab and go, really light weight.

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 05:44:21 PM »

Another vote for the dhr-12m/chr-12m. These speakers sound way better than their price point, and the coaxial format solves a lot of traditional monitor problems.

Dave Guilford

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 08:43:09 PM »

Another vote for the dhr-12m/chr-12m. These speakers sound way better than their price point, and the coaxial format solves a lot of traditional monitor problems.

Do they get loud enough?  Spl spec isn’t terribly impressive.  Otherwise chr looks great

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 11:27:34 PM »

Speakers with rotatable horns typically aren't designed to rotate every show.  You'll end up with stripped out screws, usually on the grill after a few times.  It's tedious and time consuming.

Additionally, when in 'monitor' position, the speaker has a narrower dispersion pattern which typically would be ideal.  A wide dispersion would mean more interference with nearby cabinets.  A wide horizontal dispersion means the performer can move back and forth a bit more and remain in the sweet spot of the speaker.

Essentially, rotatable horns don't matter for speakers that will alternate from monitor to mains position.  Where it would matter is if you wanted to use the speaker as a monitor while vertical or a mains speaker while horizontal.   (You know, when you want to create that poor man's line array and pile a bunch of speakers together... jk)
Brian Jojade

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 12:34:58 AM »

Do they get loud enough?  Spl spec isn’t terribly impressive.  Otherwise chr looks great

"Loud enough" is a subjective thing, so not sure I can answer that. I've only used them as monitors for jazz/pop bands and they get more than loud enough in that role. I always have plenty of gain left (both on the box and on the master send), so they should be fine for louder bands and for small gig/space mains. But if you are using them for a deaf metal drummer who is sitting beside a wall of Marshalls, then maybe not.

Dave Guilford

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2022, 09:36:47 PM »

"Loud enough" is a subjective thing, so not sure I can answer that. I've only used them as monitors for jazz/pop bands and they get more than loud enough in that role. I always have plenty of gain left (both on the box and on the master send), so they should be fine for louder bands and for small gig/space mains. But if you are using them for a deaf metal drummer who is sitting beside a wall of Marshalls, then maybe not.

I wasn’t being terribly scientific.  And I won’t be here now either haha.  Qsc k series is “loud enough” but their CP series isnt.  I’ve also had a lot of experience with original Yamaha DXR series , as well as passive cm12v monitors.  Both get loud enough, but the passive wedges only barely

Sean Anderson

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2022, 12:00:26 AM »

I haven't tried any of the monitors you have mentioned, but I do have 8 of the JTR 110XM. They have proved to be an excellent, small wedge that I use regularly with loud rock bands. Combined with good mics, they have excellent gain before feedback and they do sound really good. The fit and finish is tough and solid. That said, they are more expensive than the wedges you asked about.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2022, 12:00:26 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.