ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Any experience with the HOLOPLOT X1 Matrix Array?  (Read 3502 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Any experience with the HOLOPLOT X1 Matrix Array?
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2022, 11:22:19 AM »

Art has a good point. Physical size dictate your low frequency cut-off.

Yeah, no matter what the product is, the lower you go, the larger the size must be (physically or electronically steered), horns or front loaded

Not necessarily the size of the box, but the array in which it is used.

There is no way around it.

The radiation pattern also affects the size needed for control.  As the pattern narrows, the size MUST increase.  Wider patterns can have control down lower in smaller boxes.

All the different parameters interact and affect other parameters
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2022, 11:24:54 AM »

The Sphere Las Vegas (another James Dolan/MSG Entertainment property) is slated to deploy a huge Holoplot rig. (With the known acoustic hostility of dome shaped structures, lots of beam steering and anti-noise DSP horsepower makes sense). Unconfirmed, but I have heard that Dolan personally owns a large share of Holoplot.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 11:27:36 AM by Jim McKeveny »

John L Nobile

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2022, 12:49:30 PM »

I think I see where beam steering would be useful in a portable rig but for a permanent install is it just a way to spend more money? Can't you install boxes that have the proper coverage for the room? Or am I just old school.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2022, 01:08:54 PM »

I think I see where beam steering would be useful in a portable rig but for a permanent install is it just a way to spend more money? Can't you install boxes that have the proper coverage for the room? Or am I just old school.

Not with the same resolution in mid/hi. Smoothness and the degree of even coverage with a couple of the best steerable systems are something that you’ll need to hear to believe.

Make a system go long-short-long to even out balcony coverage and keep more energy off the walls are one thing these systems can do better than non-steerable systems.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2022, 01:22:18 PM »

Not with the same resolution in mid/hi. Smoothness and the degree of even coverage with a couple of the best steerable systems are something that you’ll need to hear to believe.

Make a system go long-short-long to even out balcony coverage and keep more energy off the walls are one thing these systems can do better than non-steerable systems.

The deep steering capacity is seems to be a secondary benefit. It was pitched to my engineer friend as designed for spatially localized "3D" panning L/R+F/R.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 04:05:21 PM by Jim McKeveny »

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2022, 10:01:39 AM »

It was for WPC and WPL, both processed with 1:1 resolution. Both had this issue on stage behind the array, a super hot 2k spike.

----

This being said I thought the Martin stuff sounded great for the price point; however the front coverage was much more inconsistent compared to the other brands at the demo.

----

This demo was during Covid though, so I had the feeling that the product was pretty new to the guys Martin had deploying it, and they were not able to send someone who knew the product as well, so the "bad showing" might have been due to deployment problems.

I would enjoy hearing their arrays again, and for a price point that is in Nexo territory I would take Martin every time.

That has not been my experience so I am thinking that you are correct.  New product, possible lack of familiarity. 
There can also be issues if you have two few boxes for what you are asking the system to accomplish.  When that is the case then you are best off to not ask for any hard avoid areas, you can turn it off in the DSP calculations.
My real curiosity was WPx vs. MLA-x as MLA has much higher resolution. 

Thanks!
Lee
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 10:04:02 AM by Lee Buckalew »
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Andy_Leviss

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2023, 05:49:29 AM »

My partner, another couple we’re friends with, and I—all sound engineers—went to a Tedeschi Trucks show using this system at the Beacon a few months back. We left halfway through, as it was unbearable to listen to. Muddy, no clarity, and brutal mid-highs. To my ear it sounded exactly as phasey as those boxes look, but that could have been confirmation bias.

I’m told, however, that the Holoplot immersive demo earlier that day sounded amazing, so either it just was not configured well for use in a mono/stereo configuration (whether by execution or simply it doesn’t work well in that use case as a whole), or something was dramatically wrong with how it was used for that show.

FWIW, I know folks on both sides of that show secondhand, and I’ve heard finger pointing both ways. BE allegedly said the system was awful, and house and manufacturer folks saying BE insisted on moving front fills and dramatically retuning, and didn’t properly align things when he did. I kind of wish I could have seen if it improved by the end of that residency.  So…¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If somebody wants to comp me a ticket, I’ll go back to hear a different show there, but…I’m not gonna willingly spend money at that venue again based on that experience unless I know for sure it wasn’t the rig.
Andy Leviss
Broadway/Concert/Corporate/Broadcast Sound Engineer
ETCP Certified Entertainment Electrian, AVIXA CTS
IATSE Local 1, USA829

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2023, 02:53:35 PM »

My partner, another couple we’re friends with, and I—all sound engineers—went to a Tedeschi Trucks show using this system at the Beacon a few months back. We left halfway through, as it was unbearable to listen to. Muddy, no clarity, and brutal mid-highs. To my ear it sounded exactly as phasey as those boxes look, but that could have been confirmation bias.

I’m told, however, that the Holoplot immersive demo earlier that day sounded amazing, so either it just was not configured well for use in a mono/stereo configuration (whether by execution or simply it doesn’t work well in that use case as a whole), or something was dramatically wrong with how it was used for that show.

FWIW, I know folks on both sides of that show secondhand, and I’ve heard finger pointing both ways. BE allegedly said the system was awful, and house and manufacturer folks saying BE insisted on moving front fills and dramatically retuning, and didn’t properly align things when he did. I kind of wish I could have seen if it improved by the end of that residency.  So…¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If somebody wants to comp me a ticket, I’ll go back to hear a different show there, but…I’m not gonna willingly spend money at that venue again based on that experience unless I know for sure it wasn’t the rig.

TTB BE & SE have thousands of successful shows under their belt. Beacon had brought in BE weeks beforehand to demonstrate, but playback of curated demo material is different than a live performance. Holoplot may be terrific for a kind of "Audio IMAX" thrill ride with purpose-developed material, but for the lion's share of current concert presentation it seems to fall short, a noted by many.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2023, 06:04:53 PM »

All the different parameters interact and affect other parameters

The calculations are ongoing and enormous. The "3D" spatial control has audio costs behind the shiny object.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2023, 04:44:04 PM »

Will post a pic soon, but Cyndi Lauper is in Beacon today and much of the Holoplot has been struck and a significant array of L'Acoustics is hung.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2023, 04:44:04 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.