Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Wifi setup for big system tuning

(1/3) > >>

Karel Will:
Hi,

I'm wondering what setups the big guys use to be able to stroll around let's say a stadium or festival site with their tablet and (a) wireless measurement microphone(s).
Mainly looking to build myself a rock solid setup. I need a new AP anyway, so I might as well make it a scalable one.
My guess would be a bunch of APs all over the place on a dedicated ethernet network, but I'm looking for tips and tricks, general advice and caveats...

If someone happens to pass through Belgium (or somewhere close) and would be willing to show me around, that would be heaven. :-)

Thanks a lot!

Karel.

Scott Helmke:
We usually use an Ubiquiti Bullet with an external antenna.

Riley Casey:
This has worked extremely well for us but the website says it's "sold out".
https://store.ui.com/products/unifi-ac-mesh-ap

Steve Eudaly:

--- Quote from: Riley Casey on November 30, 2022, 09:31:31 AM ---This has worked extremely well for us but the website says it's "sold out".
https://store.ui.com/products/unifi-ac-mesh-ap

--- End quote ---

TP-Link makes a very similar product (EAW225-AC1200) that's a bit cheaper, in stock, and in my experience, much easier to configure. Only recently started using it so time will tell how it holds up.

Scott Carneval:

--- Quote from: Karel Will on November 30, 2022, 05:23:27 AM ---Hi,

I'm wondering what setups the big guys use to be able to stroll around let's say a stadium or festival site with their tablet and (a) wireless measurement microphone(s).
Mainly looking to build myself a rock solid setup. I need a new AP anyway, so I might as well make it a scalable one.
My guess would be a bunch of APs all over the place on a dedicated ethernet network, but I'm looking for tips and tricks, general advice and caveats...

If someone happens to pass through Belgium (or somewhere close) and would be willing to show me around, that would be heaven. :-)

Thanks a lot!

Karel.

--- End quote ---

I think you've presented two different questions. One question is best practices for a stadium alignment, the other is how to distribute temporary wifi throughout a large space.

As for the stadium alignment, your best bet is to distribute microphones (preferably wireless) throughout the listening area, and control/tune the system from a fixed position. Of course you'll want to walk the space to verify and fine tune by ear, but dragging a SMAART rig throughout a stadium would not be ideal. If it's really hot or cold out, you probably want to set your SMAART rig in the press box, but if it's a nice day you might want to set up down on the field. Do your baseline EQ, level, and crossover adjustments from the fixed position, and then walk the stadium with a handheld SPL meter to verify and potentially make some fine-tune adjustments. I've found that using a remote desktop software (I use Anydesk, but any of them will work) will allow me to remote into my laptop via an iPad and walk anywhere I want without worrying about WiFi. But for this to work you will need cellular service on the iPad or hotspot it to your phone or something.

As for deploying WiFi throughout the venue, there are some long range access points available but I've yet to find any that work reliably beyond about 200-300'. I've had more success deploying multiple wireless access points hardwired back to a switch or router. But if you use the method outlined above you really don't need to mess with WiFi.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version