ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Grill Foam for Rain Protection  (Read 2568 times)

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
Re: Grill Foam for Rain Protection
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2022, 05:58:05 PM »

I use 1/4" filter foam behind the grills from Grainger along with a speaker coating called "The Wet Look" on all the drivers.

Kinda wish that treatment didn't Look so Wet. I have used it on some wedge woofers and a couple of speakers that had spent too much time in the salt air on a cruise ship. Does a nice job, but it's SO SHINY.

As for Reticulated Speaker Grill Foam, that's one item that experienced supply chain issues before COVID-19. There are only a few factories producing foam and, as I was told, a critical chemical ingredient was in short supply. A quick search indicates that has been resolved.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2022, 11:59:15 PM »

I appreciate everyone's input on this!  It's been a busy week/weekend so my apologies for not posting back sooner. 

The product from Granger looks about right.  I do prefer the true black foam over the dark grey though.  Regardless, what's the preferred technique to attach the foam to the grill?  I figured either spray or roll-on adhesive would be a good start but know that in the world of adhesives there's often a few right answers along with plenty of very wrong ones!  Thanks again!

Dave Guilford

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2022, 09:06:17 PM »

I’ve never had good luck with spray.  The particles start to web thru the holes in the grille and it’s visible from the front , especially when it’s between the grille and you’re fresh dark foam.  Not to mention that it didn’t stick either. 

For years I’ve been waiting for someone else to figure it out bc I’m not making those mistakes again.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2022, 10:09:36 AM »

I’ve never had good luck with spray.  The particles start to web thru the holes in the grille and it’s visible from the front ,

Same experience here. Plus, it fails to dry clear.

Might try some black paint on the back side of the grill next time. No harm, no foul if it leaks through the grill holes.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2022, 07:28:42 PM »

Same experience here. Plus, it fails to dry clear.

Same here as well which is why I’m trending towards a roll-on adhesive.  For putting foam inserts in road cases I’ve had good lucky with Barge Cement (the original and more health adverse recipe), but don’t think it’d be a good fit on foam this thin.

I definitely don’t want this to become a major ordeal as I’ve got enough DIY projects cooking already, but I want to do it right too.  Thanks again!

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2022, 01:44:01 PM »

I’ve never had good luck with spray.  The particles start to web thru the holes in the grille and it’s visible from the front , especially when it’s between the grille and your fresh dark foam.  Not to mention that it didn’t stick either.

+1.  Spray on has proven to be a useless method to attach grill foam.
Brian Jojade

David B Little

• DBLITTLE.COM
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2023, 02:16:39 PM »

Same here as well which is why I’m trending towards a roll-on adhesive.  For putting foam inserts in road cases I’ve had good lucky with Barge Cement (the original and more health adverse recipe), but don’t think it’d be a good fit on foam this thin.

I definitely don’t want this to become a major ordeal as I’ve got enough DIY projects cooking already, but I want to do it right too.  Thanks again!
When I was small scale manufacturing cases & custom grills a couple decades ago I used the same glue I used for laminate. I used spray grade Wilsonart 800 with foam rollers (any thinner contact adhesive will work). Takes a little practice but you can apply to the grill without a lot of bleed through on the holes as well as a light touch on the foam. My foam of choice was the 1/4" open cell air filter foam - sourced in bulk rolls from MSC Industrial Supply.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2023, 04:26:22 PM »

I have noticed a move away from foam by most manufacturers. It eventually succumbs to UV and crumbles. Anyone have knowledge of the open-ish polyester fabric I see used now?

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2023, 08:44:13 AM »

I use 1/4" filter foam behind the grills from Grainger along with a speaker coating called "The Wet Look" on all the drivers. I sure it could be debated that you are adding weight to the cone but I cannot hear any sonic differences between coated and non-coated Tha Wet Look can be purchased from Parts Express.

I've used Foam Factory, based in the Detroit area, for years. All sorts of foam products too.

1/4" reticulated filter foam, 20-30ppi.

https://www.thefoamfactory.com/

Best regards,
John

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2023, 08:47:59 AM »

If you go to Ebay, Grainger has a store there. The foam I get is Air Handler 2EJZ3 Air Filter Foam 48 in x 25 ft x 1/4 in. Its $90.83 per roll w/free shipping.

About half the price at Foam Factory:
https://www.thefoamfactory.com/opencellfoam/filter.html

You're welcome. ;>)

John

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2023, 08:47:59 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 23 queries.