Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Grill Foam for Rain Protection

(1/5) > >>

Jeff Lelko:
Greetings,

Can anyone recommend a foam product to install in my speaker grills for light-duty water protection?  I don't need anything that can withstand a hurricane or is meant for permanent outdoor use - just for keeping water off the drivers when a summer storm pops up while not growing mold. 

Thanks!

As an aside the speakers/subwoofers in question are non-powered and covered in the bedliner/urethane coating, thus they can tolerate mild rain exposure aside from water getting in the front grills.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Jeff Lelko on November 30, 2022, 04:04:03 AM ---Greetings,

Can anyone recommend a foam product to install in my speaker grills for light-duty water protection?  I don't need anything that can withstand a hurricane or is meant for permanent outdoor use - just for keeping water off the drivers when a summer storm pops up while not growing mold. 

Thanks!

As an aside the speakers/subwoofers in question are non-powered and covered in the bedliner/urethane coating, thus they can tolerate mild rain exposure aside from water getting in the front grills.

--- End quote ---

Check with Undercover NYC; they make water-repellent, acoustically "not opaque" covers for all kinds of loudspeakers.

Frank Czar:
I use 1/4" filter foam behind the grills from Grainger along with a speaker coating called "The Wet Look" on all the drivers. I sure it could be debated that you are adding weight to the cone but I cannot hear any sonic differences between coated and non-coated Tha Wet Look can be purchased from Parts Express.

dave briar:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on November 30, 2022, 09:18:18 AM ---Check with Undercover NYC; they make water-repellent, acoustically "not opaque" covers for all kinds of loudspeakers.

--- End quote ---
+1 for UndercoverNYCís acoustically-transparent material. Ingenious actually. We ordered covers for our FBTs and I tested the performance with a garden hose.  Very impressive.

Jim McKeveny:
4ft x 6 ft sheets via Reliable Hardware, North Hollywood, CA.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version