ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to this and need help routing and setting up  (Read 2653 times)

Jordan Wayne Vance

New to this and need help routing and setting up
« on: November 27, 2022, 05:38:48 PM »

So I知 new to this forum and also new to the pro audio scene. I need help and suggestions on how I can route my powered mixer to my av unit so I will have 7 different channels and have the Dolby sound experience. I知 not sure how I can work it but I want to continue to keep my passive Yamaha 15s and peavey 12s on the pa side of the system so they池e able to get the power they deserves. So basically I have a power mixing console and a av receiver and a desktop for the audio coming in
-Jordan Wayne Vance

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: New to this and need help routing and setting up
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 07:00:01 PM »

So I知 new to this forum and also new to the pro audio scene. I need help and suggestions on how I can route my powered mixer to my av unit so I will have 7 different channels and have the Dolby sound experience. I知 not sure how I can work it but I want to continue to keep my passive Yamaha 15s and peavey 12s on the pa side of the system so they池e able to get the power they deserves. So basically I have a power mixing console and a av receiver and a desktop for the audio coming in
You do not want to run any speaker level signals into your receiver, only line level. 
There are too many questions to answer without more specific info. 
What mixer?  What receiver? Where is the 6.1 coming from?  What speakers? 
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Jordan Wayne Vance

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 08:43:37 PM »

You do not want to run any speaker level signals into your receiver, only line level. 
There are too many questions to answer without more specific info. 
What mixer?  What receiver? Where is the 6.1 coming from?  What speakers?
Ok so I知 using a desktop for my source of music  running to an hdmi audio extractor that converts to 3.5 then I have a series of adapters. The first one being 3.5 to 2 line level inputs(rca) then after that one I have an adapter that turns the rcas into 2 1/4 cables which I have plugged into my Samson powered analog mixing board which I have the left on the first channel and the right on the second channel.  I seem to get much more power to my passive speakers running it that way instead of doing the actual stereo channel so I did split mono. I have 2 Yamaha passive 15s and 2 peavey 12s on the mixing board. I want to leave them on the mixing board. I want to be to put my new Yamaha av receiver in the mix somehow so I can use 7 channels but with all different speakers still leaving my mixing board setup alone I just want to have them both play with one audio source. I知 not sure if the mixing board needs to be hooked up to av unit or vice versa. If I知 not still explaining it well , I do apologize
-Jordan Wayne Vance

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 09:09:29 PM »

So I知 new to this forum and also new to the pro audio scene.

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 07:51:31 PM »

Ok so I知 using a desktop for my source of music  running to an hdmi audio extractor that converts to 3.5 then I have a series of adapters. The first one being 3.5 to 2 line level inputs(rca) then after that one I have an adapter that turns the rcas into 2 1/4 cables which I have plugged into my Samson powered analog mixing board which I have the left on the first channel and the right on the second channel.  I seem to get much more power to my passive speakers running it that way instead of doing the actual stereo channel so I did split mono. I have 2 Yamaha passive 15s and 2 peavey 12s on the mixing board. I want to leave them on the mixing board. I want to be to put my new Yamaha av receiver in the mix somehow so I can use 7 channels but with all different speakers still leaving my mixing board setup alone I just want to have them both play with one audio source. I知 not sure if the mixing board needs to be hooked up to av unit or vice versa. If I知 not still explaining it well , I do apologize
Again, what model receiver? or at least a pic of the rear panel to see what you have to work with.

Jordan Wayne Vance

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 08:29:31 PM »

Again, what model receiver? or at least a pic of the rear panel to see what you have to work with.
so tried to upload pics no luck bit it's a Yamaha rxv671
-Jordan Wayne Vance

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 10:03:51 PM »

Jordan, that reciever has surround sound decoding built in but it does not have analog line outputs for all those channels.. just the main stereo pair, so you will only get processed surround sound from the speakers connected to the reciever. You can however connect the stereo line or Zone outputs from it to your powerd mixer and get sound to those speakers that way, this makes the reciever the main hub of the system... all A/V sources should connect to it and not the mixer.

Jordan Wayne Vance

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2022, 05:20:17 AM »

Jordan, that reciever has surround sound decoding built in but it does not have analog line outputs for all those channels.. just the main stereo pair, so you will only get processed surround sound from the speakers connected to the reciever. You can however connect the stereo line or Zone outputs from it to your powerd mixer and get sound to those speakers that way, this makes the reciever the main hub of the system... all A/V sources should connect to it and not the mixer.
ok cool thank you for that information.!I guess that痴 what I was asking how do I make it my hub of my whole system? I致e tried connecting pc to it and have the mixer connected to both outputs for analog on the receiver and no luck. I知 doing something wrong
-Jordan Wayne Vance

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2022, 06:26:48 PM »

ok cool thank you for that information.!I guess that痴 what I was asking how do I make it my hub of my whole system? I致e tried connecting pc to it and have the mixer connected to both outputs for analog on the receiver and no luck. I知 doing something wrong
You cannot get anything but left, right, and sub out of this receiver at line level.  Surround is only available at speaker level

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2022, 11:33:09 AM »

I致e tried connecting pc to it and have the mixer connected to both outputs for analog on the receiver and no luck. I知 doing something wrong
Can you explain that in more detail, exactly how are you connecting the PC to the reciever... via USB or analog patch cables? There are a LOT of settings available inside an AVR so you will have to sit down with the user manual and make sure everything is correctly enabled before you get audio where you want it... it won't just happen after the cables are connected.

ProSoundWeb Community

ツォ Reply #9 on: December 01, 2022, 11:33:09 AM ツサ

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.