ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC k12.2 vs QSC HPR-122i  (Read 2760 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: QSC k12.2 vs QSC HPR-122i
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2022, 07:10:05 PM »

60lbs vs 39lbs is a significant difference.

My company policy is anything over 50lbs is a 2 person overhead lift, so the older speakers would have a higher labor cost when deploying on stands.  This is especially significant for smaller shows where this means requiring a staff of 2 instead of just one.

Depending on the price you can get the older speakers for, you may be able to use them for a couple years, then sell them off and get most, if not all of your money back.  New speakers will have a depreciation cost associated.

As far as which will get the job done, I'd say they are close enough in performance that either would be an acceptable selection.  The 'features' in the new ones may mean not using some extra outboard gear, but only in the smallest deployments would this likely matter at all.
Brian Jojade

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2022, 08:33:36 PM »

Hi Pierre,

I would suggest that you also look at the Yamaha DXR12 MK II and Yamaha DXS18XLF combo as they are around the same price as the QSC K12.2/KW181 combo.  The Yamaha powered speakers all have a 7 year warranty which is about as good as it gets.

I only have experience with the DXR8 but that is a kick-butt little box. I wouldn't doubt that the 12 over 18 DXR stuff would do you well.

I can also say that the DZR12 is an awesome box as well. It's better than the HPR112 and/or the DSR112 it replaced. I work with a band that has a pair of the DZR112's and I love that box.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2022, 09:46:14 PM »

... I work with a band that has a pair of the DZR112's and I love that box.
Freudian slip Tim ;)

I have one more kid to get through college and then I can start spending money upgrading my band system from my DSR112's.  Good to know that the DZR12 is a worthy successor.

I always thought that Yamaha had underpriced the original DSR112 when compared to the competition it was up against in that price bracket (was originally $800ish to compete with other speakers released around that time).  The DZR's are squarely priced against the SRX speakers leaving the DXR's to compete with the K.2 and PRX speakers at the ~$800.00 price range.  Arguably the DSRs were worth around that as well. I do know that they eventually raised the price to ~$900 MAP which I think they justified.

While the old PRX6/7/818XLF's aren't in the top rung of subs today, I still really liked the fact that they were so light (81lbs) and still put out a good quality thump.  Seems like all manufacturers have decided to make heavier subs (100-140lbs) the norm (minus the SRX818p which is still pretty light at 89lbs).  Then again, maybe younger backs than mine don't mind such things (my back twitches remembering moving around CV 18" folded horns :) ).

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2022, 01:50:33 AM »

I can also say that the DZR12 is an awesome box as well. It's better than the HPR112 and/or the DSR112 it replaced. I work with a band that has a pair of the DZR112's and I love that box.

I agree. I put the DZR12 up against the HPR122i and it was no contest. In my opinion, the DZRs are a HUGE upgrade in sound. They have tons of punch and super clear/defined mid-range and upper freqs. The HPRs sounded very mushy in a side-by-side comparison. And this is coming from a QSC fanboy, after having mixed hundreds of shows for years on a QSC HPR system. There's no question in my mind that the HPRs are robust, but I'll take the DZRs without hesitation.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2022, 05:30:20 PM »

Freudian slip Tim ;)

I have one more kid to get through college and then I can start spending money upgrading my band system from my DSR112's.  Good to know that the DZR12 is a worthy successor.

I always thought that Yamaha had underpriced the original DSR112 when compared to the competition it was up against in that price bracket (was originally $800ish to compete with other speakers released around that time).  The DZR's are squarely priced against the SRX speakers leaving the DXR's to compete with the K.2 and PRX speakers at the ~$800.00 price range.  Arguably the DSRs were worth around that as well. I do know that they eventually raised the price to ~$900 MAP which I think they justified.

While the old PRX6/7/818XLF's aren't in the top rung of subs today, I still really liked the fact that they were so light (81lbs) and still put out a good quality thump.  Seems like all manufacturers have decided to make heavier subs (100-140lbs) the norm (minus the SRX818p which is still pretty light at 89lbs).  Then again, maybe younger backs than mine don't mind such things (my back twitches remembering moving around CV 18" folded horns :) ).

But I DO love it! lol

The Z has all the same stuff that made the S great, but it sounds better, has more low end, has more DSP options, and looks better and is real plywood vs MDF. The DZR stuff has a nice cloth grill without gaudy emblems too. It would fit right in to the highest-end corporate gig.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2022, 08:11:29 PM »

But I DO love it! lol

The Z has all the same stuff that made the S great, but it sounds better, has more low end, has more DSP options, and looks better and is real plywood vs MDF. The DZR stuff has a nice cloth grill without gaudy emblems too. It would fit right in to the highest-end corporate gig.
Yea, the DSR's really didn't have much down low.  Really good mid low punch and great vocal definition, but light on the low end.  Work great for solo/duo work or tops over subs, but not so good for stand alone SOS work for music playback.

I'll keep my eyes on the DZR's for the next couple of years and dream :).

Pierre Foster

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2022, 07:51:56 PM »

A wealth of knowledge provided here, thanks guys!

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2022, 01:12:35 AM »

The DZR stuff has a nice cloth grill without gaudy emblems too. It would fit right in to the highest-end corporate gig.

They really do look classy, almost as if the boxes were painted brown.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2022, 01:12:35 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.