ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC k12.2 vs QSC HPR-122i  (Read 2759 times)

Pierre Foster

QSC k12.2 vs QSC HPR-122i
« on: November 26, 2022, 02:23:18 PM »

Sorry if this has been discussed in great length but and advice is appreciated.

I am looking to pickup some (4) QSC K12.2 and (2) 181 in the next day or so and came across some good deals on QSC HPR-122i's

Are the HPR's still worth owning? I know the k12.2 offers a lot of features not found on the HPRs and are also a fair bit lighter, however for basic use, Recorded media (DJ Playback) indoors in ballrooms etc during the Christmas season. Would the HPR still get the job done in terms of sound quality and playback level.

All opinions welcomed. 

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: QSC k12.2 vs QSC HPR-122i
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 03:43:54 PM »

Hey Pierre,

All I can say is that my HPR122is keep making me money and have never missed a beat in my 10ish+ years of ownership!  In fact I used 2 as mains and another as a monitor on a corporate gig just last week.  Between 4 122is and 2 152s they do a great job filling in the bottom “utility” end of my rig while reserving my 6 Yorkville U15s and 8 UCS1s for larger MainStage work.

Yes, I’m definitely subscribed to the “buy once cry once” philosophy with all my speakers over a decade old, but with proper care I can’t say I have any complaints nor do I plan on retiring any of my boxes in the near future.  Hope this helps!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 04:53:22 PM »

I'm with Jeff in that the HPR line just sounds better than the KW that replaced it. It is much heavier though, and the protection isn't quite as good. You can blow drivers, but its pretty rare.

The KW's are really good when you compare the weight, convenience, and price factors. The HPR's win on sound quality and quantity. But you pay the price in weight and features.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 07:33:47 PM »

I think the OP is comparing the HPRs to the plastic box K12 series.

I owned a pair of the HPR122is and loved them as mains or monitors - until they were stolen from my storage locker...

I have a K12 now and the sound isn't quite the same. If you have a deal on the HPR122is I'd go for those. The only benefit of the K12's is the reduced weight.

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2022, 07:48:08 PM »

I still have 6 HPR122's after all these years, I bought 4 brand new and 2 used not long after that. While I now have lots of other speakers that are louder, lighter, and also sound great, I have no intention of getting rid of my HPR's. They've probably had the best ROI of anything in my inventory, actually. They were truly a gem in QSC's lineup when they were introduced, and QSC hasn't come out with anything since that compares. If you found a good deal on some, I'd say go for it.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Paul Mayer

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2022, 02:20:09 AM »

Sorry if this has been discussed in great length but and advice is appreciated.

I am looking to pickup some (4) QSC K12.2 and (2) 181 in the next day or so and came across some good deals on QSC HPR-122i's

Are the HPR's still worth owning? I know the k12.2 offers a lot of features not found on the HPRs and are also a fair bit lighter, however for basic use, Recorded media (DJ Playback) indoors in ballrooms etc during the Christmas season. Would the HPR still get the job done in terms of sound quality and playback level.

All opinions welcomed.

To be honest, while the k12.2 has some new FIR filters, get slightly better and may subjectively sound better, I've found the reliability on the HPR and original k-series to be superior (with the original k-series probably being the best).  The k.2 are great products and solidly made, but I've had more failures on those units than their older stuff which has literally been bulletproof and the most reliable gear I've owned.  If you can find a good price on the HPR I would not pass on it.

Jay Marr

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2022, 01:23:25 PM »

HPRs are great (kind of regret selling my pair a few years back).

I owned the HPRs, liked them, and needed a 3rd power speaker (for a monitor)...so I bought a K12.
Brought it home, compared it to the HPR.....and put the K12 back in the box and returned it.
I have not tried the K12.2.

The HPRs are heavier, but that never bothered me.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2022, 04:59:29 PM »

I guess my only question is if you are only concidering QSC powered speakers for some reason?

While I agree with all the posts here that the HPR's were better sounding (and heavier) than the Original K speakers, the question asked in this thread would suggest that K12.2's were under consideration.

Is the QSC line the only one you are interested in?

Pierre Foster

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2022, 09:34:32 PM »

I guess my only question is if you are only concidering QSC powered speakers for some reason?

While I agree with all the posts here that the HPR's were better sounding (and heavier) than the Original K speakers, the question asked in this thread would suggest that K12.2's were under consideration.

Is the QSC line the only one you are interested in?

Thank to everyone that has contributed to this post.

Scott to answer your question it is not the only line being considered however they did fit in the budget I am trying to stick to. Ideally hoping to stay in $600 - $900 per box range and the QSC boxes seems to constantly get the nod in that range. Definitely open to other suggestions as well.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2022, 06:05:52 PM »

Thank to everyone that has contributed to this post.

Scott to answer your question it is not the only line being considered however they did fit in the budget I am trying to stick to. Ideally hoping to stay in $600 - $900 per box range and the QSC boxes seems to constantly get the nod in that range. Definitely open to other suggestions as well.

Hi Pierre,

I would suggest that you also look at the Yamaha DXR12 MK II and Yamaha DXS18XLF combo as they are around the same price as the QSC K12.2/KW181 combo.  The Yamaha powered speakers all have a 7 year warranty which is about as good as it gets.

I would also ask if you are planning on using the tops in a 2:1 ratio over the subs as this seems kinda backwards to me (would think a 1:2 ratio would be balanced well).  Of course, you could be using 2 of the tops as monitors which would make sense.

Within the QSC speaker range, I believe that the KW181 has been replaced by the KS118 which I hear is an upgrade in punch from the venerable KW181.

Both of these FOH speaker systems are near the top of the food chain when it comes to output and sound quality in this price range.  The SRX and DZR series (along with the RCF's) are a step up, but are also about 40% more expensive.  The next step up from there requires you REALLY open up your wallet and cry :).

Good luck in your endeavors.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2022, 07:10:05 PM »

60lbs vs 39lbs is a significant difference.

My company policy is anything over 50lbs is a 2 person overhead lift, so the older speakers would have a higher labor cost when deploying on stands.  This is especially significant for smaller shows where this means requiring a staff of 2 instead of just one.

Depending on the price you can get the older speakers for, you may be able to use them for a couple years, then sell them off and get most, if not all of your money back.  New speakers will have a depreciation cost associated.

As far as which will get the job done, I'd say they are close enough in performance that either would be an acceptable selection.  The 'features' in the new ones may mean not using some extra outboard gear, but only in the smallest deployments would this likely matter at all.
Brian Jojade

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2022, 08:33:36 PM »

Hi Pierre,

I would suggest that you also look at the Yamaha DXR12 MK II and Yamaha DXS18XLF combo as they are around the same price as the QSC K12.2/KW181 combo.  The Yamaha powered speakers all have a 7 year warranty which is about as good as it gets.

I only have experience with the DXR8 but that is a kick-butt little box. I wouldn't doubt that the 12 over 18 DXR stuff would do you well.

I can also say that the DZR12 is an awesome box as well. It's better than the HPR112 and/or the DSR112 it replaced. I work with a band that has a pair of the DZR112's and I love that box.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2022, 09:46:14 PM »

... I work with a band that has a pair of the DZR112's and I love that box.
Freudian slip Tim ;)

I have one more kid to get through college and then I can start spending money upgrading my band system from my DSR112's.  Good to know that the DZR12 is a worthy successor.

I always thought that Yamaha had underpriced the original DSR112 when compared to the competition it was up against in that price bracket (was originally $800ish to compete with other speakers released around that time).  The DZR's are squarely priced against the SRX speakers leaving the DXR's to compete with the K.2 and PRX speakers at the ~$800.00 price range.  Arguably the DSRs were worth around that as well. I do know that they eventually raised the price to ~$900 MAP which I think they justified.

While the old PRX6/7/818XLF's aren't in the top rung of subs today, I still really liked the fact that they were so light (81lbs) and still put out a good quality thump.  Seems like all manufacturers have decided to make heavier subs (100-140lbs) the norm (minus the SRX818p which is still pretty light at 89lbs).  Then again, maybe younger backs than mine don't mind such things (my back twitches remembering moving around CV 18" folded horns :) ).

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2022, 01:50:33 AM »

I can also say that the DZR12 is an awesome box as well. It's better than the HPR112 and/or the DSR112 it replaced. I work with a band that has a pair of the DZR112's and I love that box.

I agree. I put the DZR12 up against the HPR122i and it was no contest. In my opinion, the DZRs are a HUGE upgrade in sound. They have tons of punch and super clear/defined mid-range and upper freqs. The HPRs sounded very mushy in a side-by-side comparison. And this is coming from a QSC fanboy, after having mixed hundreds of shows for years on a QSC HPR system. There's no question in my mind that the HPRs are robust, but I'll take the DZRs without hesitation.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2022, 05:30:20 PM »

Freudian slip Tim ;)

I have one more kid to get through college and then I can start spending money upgrading my band system from my DSR112's.  Good to know that the DZR12 is a worthy successor.

I always thought that Yamaha had underpriced the original DSR112 when compared to the competition it was up against in that price bracket (was originally $800ish to compete with other speakers released around that time).  The DZR's are squarely priced against the SRX speakers leaving the DXR's to compete with the K.2 and PRX speakers at the ~$800.00 price range.  Arguably the DSRs were worth around that as well. I do know that they eventually raised the price to ~$900 MAP which I think they justified.

While the old PRX6/7/818XLF's aren't in the top rung of subs today, I still really liked the fact that they were so light (81lbs) and still put out a good quality thump.  Seems like all manufacturers have decided to make heavier subs (100-140lbs) the norm (minus the SRX818p which is still pretty light at 89lbs).  Then again, maybe younger backs than mine don't mind such things (my back twitches remembering moving around CV 18" folded horns :) ).

But I DO love it! lol

The Z has all the same stuff that made the S great, but it sounds better, has more low end, has more DSP options, and looks better and is real plywood vs MDF. The DZR stuff has a nice cloth grill without gaudy emblems too. It would fit right in to the highest-end corporate gig.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2022, 08:11:29 PM »

But I DO love it! lol

The Z has all the same stuff that made the S great, but it sounds better, has more low end, has more DSP options, and looks better and is real plywood vs MDF. The DZR stuff has a nice cloth grill without gaudy emblems too. It would fit right in to the highest-end corporate gig.
Yea, the DSR's really didn't have much down low.  Really good mid low punch and great vocal definition, but light on the low end.  Work great for solo/duo work or tops over subs, but not so good for stand alone SOS work for music playback.

I'll keep my eyes on the DZR's for the next couple of years and dream :).

Pierre Foster

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2022, 07:51:56 PM »

A wealth of knowledge provided here, thanks guys!

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2022, 01:12:35 AM »

The DZR stuff has a nice cloth grill without gaudy emblems too. It would fit right in to the highest-end corporate gig.

They really do look classy, almost as if the boxes were painted brown.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2022, 01:12:35 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.