ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: using JBL PRX800 as mains/monitors  (Read 880 times)

Mike Monte

• My website
using JBL PRX800 as mains/monitors
« on: November 26, 2022, 09:40:56 AM »

I'm in the process of cobbling-together a rig for a new-music showcase at a local performing arts center.

The main room has the bells'n whistles; SC48, D&B rig, 7 monitor mixes, yada..... and does small touring bands.

In January the venue is starting a showcase for semi-established(?) local bands (indie, etc.) in a multi-purpose room thus the rig has to be portable.
I am working with the venue and was suggested to use "what is in the back room" if possible.
(I seem to get a weird satisfaction from cobbling-together pieces of gear into a usable rig..)

The showcase will provide a basic PA, vocal mics, two monitors (1 mix).
Drum kit (w/o cymbals) with be provided and the rest of the musos will be bringing their amps.

The above being said, there is a pair of PRX800's in the back room that I would like to put in service.
I will not be mic'ing amp cabs....just vocals.

The cabs feel really light compared to my baltic-birch cabs, kinda flimsy~

My question to those of you that have used them: Is it reasonable of me to expect them to hold-up for FOH or should I just use them for monitors?
(I would rather use them as FOH cabs if possible.)
Looking at no more than 150 attendees 

I would prefer to hear from current (or former) users, not spec readers....
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 09:49:43 AM by Mike Monte »

Thomas Le

Re: using JBL PRX800 as mains/monitors
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 11:17:58 AM »

150 people indoors? Should be no problem. I used 4 PRX812’s and they’re working great on monitors and FOH. I covered outdoor gigs with them and they held up, though the occasional limit light flickering but thats my fault for not having something more capable on hand.

Be aware that the MIX OUT may give you trouble if you plan on daisy chaining, I had to resort to using a Y cable.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 01:21:47 PM »

Not the worlds best speaker by any definition, but they’ll do 150 people indoors.
I’ve done hiphop shows at a youth festival for 150 people with a pair of these.

Ben Lawrence

• VT AUDIO VISUAL
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 09:32:55 PM »

I have been running the 712s for a few years and have been very pleased. For vocals only you should be good to go. Like any other 12" 2way you are not going to get any substantial low end out of them. Sounds like thats not the intention but always nice to have a sub or two even if just for music playback.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 01:36:01 PM »

For 150 attendees, and vocals only, I think you'll be just dandy fine.  The speakers are your typical JBL mid range quality cabinet.  Nothing super special, but work perfectly fine within their limits.

The 812's are definitely light on the low end. The 815's can stand on their own for music playback.  For just vocals, it doesn't matter at all. I'd prefer 812's in that case.

Yes, as Thomas says, that mix out is pretty annoying the way it works.  Some speakers have straight in/out connections that make daisy chaining super simple.  Not the case here.  Use a Y instead.
Brian Jojade

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 10:50:07 AM »

there is a pair of PRX800's in the back room that I would like to put in service.

Take the time to get the app and clear the internal settings. We had a pair of 812s from different sources and they each sounded all kinds of bad until we did that.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

scottstephens

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 12:52:37 PM »

Mike,

I have 4 PRX 812's. I really like them for monitors on smaller shows and as fill speakers and as mains on small corporate gigs.  I have not gotten the app  and done all of the "tweaking". But I bought them new. They can take a little bit of eq to make them sound less biting, but as JBL's go; they are not bad.  I have used them for lots of country bands, some rock (lighter) and as mentioned a lot of play back.  I don't do hard rock and metal stuff cause I don't like it anymore. Those days are gone. When I did, I used Yammy 15's for monitors. Those are almost indestructible, if they are powered properly.

I believe the 812's are being supplanted, so I am sure the price will go down as people try to get rid of "old stock". If you can make money with them, go for it.

Scott

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 12:52:37 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.