ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone know anything about this old PAS professional audio systems setup?  (Read 1635 times)

Steve Warner

So there is not even a model number anywhere?  Three massive cabinets.  I do know it appear to be PAS out of California? Anyone know anything about these, when they were built?  First generation vintage touring?  Love to hear from you old PAS guys out there!

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: Anyone know anything about this old PAS professional audio systems setup?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 03:52:07 PM »

So there is not even a model number anywhere?  Three massive cabinets.  I do know it appear to be PAS out of California? Anyone know anything about these, when they were built?
I'm not a PAS expert, don't remember their very early designs like yours making the scene.
PAS was known for their co-axial driver systems through the 1980s and 1990s, good sound and value.

Just as a guess, I'd date the separate cabinets you posted as built in the mid to late 1970s, around the  time Don Keele's 1975 "What's So Sacred About Exponential Horns" AES article was making it's rounds.

The PAS HF horn looks to be a conic/tractrix combination, the mid a hyperbolic/exponential ("hypex") type.

By the early 1980's, demand for separate mid and high horn cabinets fell off, though PAS could have continued making them for a while longer for the California market.

Art

Steve Warner

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 05:34:04 PM »

I'm not a PAS expert, don't remember their very early designs like yours making the scene.
PAS was known for their co-axial driver systems through the 1980s and 1990s, good sound and value.

Just as a guess, I'd date the separate cabinets you posted as built in the mid to late 1970s, around the time Don Keele's 1975 "What's So Sacred About Exponential Horns" AES article was making it's rounds.

The PAS HF horn looks to be a conic/tractrix combination, the mid a hyperbolic/exponential ("hypex") type.

By the early 1980's, demand for separate mid and high horn cabinets fell off, though PAS could have continued making them for a while longer for the California market.

Art

Thank you Art, that is very interesting and helpful!  It looks like these guys have been around for a long time which could explain the lack of model numbers and/or information on them.  I opened up the horn and found a Renkus Heinz driver and the mid has a PAS1280. I have not opened the base cab.

I will have to read that article some time.  Again thank you for the info!

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 06:53:26 PM »

Thank you Art, that is very interesting and helpful!  It looks like these guys have been around for a long time which could explain the lack of model numbers and/or information on them.  I opened up the horn and found a Renkus Heinz driver and the mid has a PAS1280. I have not opened the base cab.

I will have to read that article some time.  Again thank you for the info!

Was the driver a SSD1800 or 3300?
If they need diaphragms they are few and far between to find.

Steve Warner

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2022, 07:29:18 PM »

Was the driver a SSD1800 or 3300?
If they need diaphragms they are few and far between to find.
Oh geez, you are correct it has a 3300. 

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2022, 07:45:18 PM »

Oh geez, you are correct it has a 3300.

Give them a test and see what you got, a quick test with an ohm meter will tell you if the coils are intact.
If they are some sine wave tone test will tell you if they are in decent shape.
Some careful cleaning may not hurt.

Good news is there are a lot of decent driver choices today for replacements if needed.

Are there any passive crossover components in any of the cabinets.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 08:23:03 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Warner

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2022, 12:58:55 PM »

Give them a test and see what you got, a quick test with an ohm meter will tell you if the coils are intact.
If they are some sine wave tone test will tell you if they are in decent shape.
Some careful cleaning may not hurt.

Good news is there are a lot of decent driver choices today for replacements if needed.

Are there any passive crossover components in any of the cabinets.

Thank you Mike, I will have to try that.  There are no passive crossover components, but I actually have the rack mount electronic cross over so I am set there as long as it works.

Steve Warner

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 03:42:56 PM »

My partner and I harvested 4x PAS 18's out of a disco in a Ramada Inn Sprts Bar called "McGuffy's Drinking Gymnasium" back in the mid 80's.  We re-purposed them into a smaller club and they pounded for years.  Also got amps and crossover - Spectro Acoustics stuff which was a break-off of some technical people from Phase Linear.

Back then PAS & JBL were popular brands in the club disco systems for speakers along with BGW & Spectro Acoustics amps.

Quality wise the 18's we had, don't remember the part numbers - but they were about on par with Cerwin Vega, (had a pair of B-36's) maybe a bit more robust.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 03:42:56 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.