ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nightclub install- Music play back???  (Read 3107 times)

Frank Czar

• Website
Nightclub install- Music play back???
« on: November 25, 2022, 12:44:44 PM »

Hey all,
I'm doing an install in an "Adult Entertainment Nightlub". I have it all figured out with the exception of the mixer/playback system. The club will have a House DJ but will also want to have guest DJ's from time to time who will possibly be using their own mixer/playback rig. I realize there are many options out there but is there an industry standard for this or could you recommend some options?

TIA
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 12:47:57 PM by Frank Czar »
Frank Czar
Concert Works
Daytona Beach FL. & US Virgin Islands
www.concertworksvi.com

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Nightclub install- Music play back???
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 01:30:28 PM »

I've seen installs where they neglect to have enough space for both a house rig and a guest DJ rig, and then don't have the house rig racked up in a way where it can easily be removed from the space.

For your 'standard' DJ rig, there really is no such thing, although the Pioneer CDj2000/DJM900 mixer is probably the closest you'd find to a rig that most would be comfortable with.

Brian Jojade

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 05:03:09 PM »

Are you asking for a pro sound mixer to interface between the DJ rig and sound system or what equipment to use for the DJ rig.

For the former a rack mounted digital of some type would certainly be ideal, allows for limiters on the DJ feed and can handle any live performce that may come through.
For the latter it's going to come down to the house DJs preference I think, all I see these days are controllers except one guy that uses turntables(1210s), but regardless of CDJs, turntables, or controller in most cases the DJs are using it the same way.. to play MP3 or wave files from a laptop or USB stick.

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 11:39:08 AM »

If it's for DJ's in an adult entertainment club, they will almost certainly bring their own controllers - which function as a mixer. Line outs on pro level DJ controllers are usually XLR males for the mains and 1/4" female phones for the booth if you set up monitors.

Protect your gear with a limiter. But I would not buy any mixers, controllers, and definitely not turntables unless told otherwise.

Paul Mayer

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 02:23:59 AM »

Hey all,
I'm doing an install in an "Adult Entertainment Nightlub". I have it all figured out with the exception of the mixer/playback system. The club will have a House DJ but will also want to have guest DJ's from time to time who will possibly be using their own mixer/playback rig. I realize there are many options out there but is there an industry standard for this or could you recommend some options?

TIA
My recommendation would be to have XLR ins or a small mixer that allows for XLR, 1/8" and RCA ins.  I've done some rentals for larger "Adult Entertainment Nightclub" and I think it was more beneficial for them to just rent the CDJ Nexus 2's when they occasionally needed it (when a DJ like Major Lazer came) rather than make the whole $6,000+ investment.  In my experience most DJ's at these places don't really know their way around a CDJ anyways or would prefer their own gear so I'd personally recommend against making that investment. 
If you do want to make the investment, get 2-4x Pioneer CDJ3000s (the 2000s are fine too but the 3000s are the updated versions so if you're buying it all I'd say just get the 3000s) and a Pioneer DJM-900NXS2.  You could also go the Pioneer V10 route but the 900 is more popular and cheaper.

For audio mixers that you would want to run mics, house sound, plug the DJ in, etc, Allen and Heath makes good products.  I'd recommend something with actual knobs and faders so its easy for people to adjust.

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2022, 01:41:49 PM »

I should add that my response was based on lounge level strip clubs, so please use Paul's as a guide if you are doing something larger and more upscale.

I should have added a mixer and mics though. There will probably be times when mic work is needed even without a DJ present.

If the house DJ has been hired, ask what their recommendations are. 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2022, 07:54:53 PM »

My inclination is such installs is:  a SYSTEM DSP with 2 sets of inputs, one set for house and another set for guest DJ; emcee mic; and paging/VOG.  Install a wall station in the booth to select which DJ, and control emcee mic level.  Paging/VOG should be preset and unalterable by typical users.

The DSP will allow you to limit DJ levels and make it impossible for DJs to bypass them.  You can assign extra outputs to entertainer dressing room/green room and install a wall station if they need to control backstage levels.

What PA you use does not matter - it can be powered or passive, QSC or ABC or JBL or XYZ.  The DSP is agnostic...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2022, 10:59:38 PM »

Set it up with a house mixer that can be WiFi pad controller or Ethernet controlled from a PC or laptop.  Ya need space for the guest DJ's that bring their own controller.  Definitely don't disassemble the house system to host a guest.

Standard setup for the mobile guys these days is to use an outboard mixer that the controller feeds into.  That will also control a couple of wireless mics.  For my mobile setups I use a Midas MR12 in the main system and a Behringer XR12 in the smaller system.  That will give you control over the mic(s) at all times and with compressor/limiters you can keep the guest DJ's on a leash so nothing gets screwed up.

Feeding an outboard mixer into a DSC is the best idea.  Again,that's how my stuff is setup.

Whatever ya do, make the house system be able to host a guest setup by plug and play without dismantling anything in the house setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrLQcNVwlxg
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 12:58:34 AM by Steve-White »

Tracy Garner

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 11:20:48 AM »

Hey all,

TIA

Have a mixer available that the house DJ plugs into but also make a stereo XLR available for a guest DJ or track acts to tap into. Its an added bonus if its easy for the bartender to tap into that setup on their phone or tablet.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 11:20:48 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 23 queries.