ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Behringer Flow 8 Mixer Notes  (Read 1298 times)

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
Behringer Flow 8 Mixer Notes
« on: November 23, 2022, 06:25:53 PM »

Hi Folks,

Some repeated and updated notes/observations for this mixer.

)  The preamps for channels 3 & 4 have only two analog levels, low and high. 
From  +27 down to +26 gain level, there's a sharp jump in preamp noise.   Also high noise when a lot of gain is dialed in.
MTribe says this is normal.  https://behringer.world/viewtopic.php?t=685 
Yes, for many signals you can work around it.   IMHO they could do so much better. 

PLUS:
⦁   Compact, light
⦁   Unit feels solid, build quailty appears to be good
⦁   Bluetooth remote control, though one device only.  Bluetooth audio at the same time, can be from the same or different devices.
⦁   Good front panel control.  Can be left in the hands of novice users for basic level control.  For instance, press Mute button quickly to mute effects, hold a second to mute all outputs except USB/Bluetooth audio.
⦁   Only needs 5V @ 2A.  Can be powered by a powerbank.  Just make sure there is enough juice or it will occasionally mute.  Phantom factors in this equation.  Easy to carry a spare power supply.
⦁   Good preamps on channels 1 & 2, with phantom
⦁   Two pre/post-fade aux sends, can do two monitor mixes
⦁   Parametric EQ on INs/OUTs,  variable HPF on inputs
⦁   One-knob compressor on inputs.  Pretty limited, but effective.  One knob output limiter.
⦁   System delays  -  can do 341ms delay.  Control from surface only.
⦁   USB multi-track in and out; on a different connection from power connector.
⦁   Two basic effects with multiple pre-sets,  tap-tempo on surface and in app.  FX to Mains and/or Monitors.
⦁   Mute and Solo per channel
⦁   EZ Gain setting actually works ok.
⦁   Settings recall
⦁   Channel scribble strips
⦁   XLR balanced main outs,  TRS balanced monitor outs.  5/6, 7/8 TRS balanced inputs.
⦁   In/Out latency .6ms

MINUS:
⦁   Short bluetooth control range, reliably about 20'.   For most of my shows and the way I mix, I need much longer range.
⦁   If you lose Bluetooth control, you have to go back to the mixer and punch buttons to re-connect  -  no auto-reconnect.  Please give us auto-reconnect to last device connected.
⦁   No parametric EQ visualization.  Firmware update?
⦁   Clunky app, for instance: click on Channel-1, then Solo.  Then un-Solo.  Then back to main fader screen.  Very slow app development.  It would be nice to see the Flow 8 in Mixing Station. 
⦁   Some, not all, power supplies appeared to have a ticking issue.  Mine hums and buzzes a bit when first plugged in, then settles down.

Is What It Is:
⦁   Low channel count.  Great if this is all you need.
⦁   Only two XLRs have phantom.  More phantom would require a bigger power supply.
⦁   Non motorized faders.  I actually prefer this -  less to break on this basic mixer.  Motorized faders would likely require a bigger power supply.
⦁   24bit, 48KHz AD/DA only,  32bit floating internal
⦁   With the mixer I carry two 1' long TRS~XLR-M adapter cables.  Also two 1' long F-XLR~TRS cables.  Add that weight to the device when comparing to other options.
⦁   The app can look different on different devices  -  some with legible text, others with tiny text.

What Can Be Improved:
⦁   Bluetooth control range, multiple device control.  Ethernet option.
⦁   Preamps for channels 3 & 4. 
⦁   App
⦁   Compressor  -  more control.  Basic/Advanced setting.
⦁   Need FX mutes on main page of app.
⦁   Channel Solo on main app page.
⦁   Show PEQ curve
⦁   Add RTA to inputs  -  a good looking, useful RTA/Spectrum analyzer like Mackie has, not the barely useful XR/MR18 one.
⦁   What is the long-term reliability of a USB-Micro-B power connector?

I got one of these in April and have had it at several small gigs as a spare. 
For various reasons, so far it has only done one gig, where it worked fine

In another thread, John L Nobile's  suggestion of a  'Midas Glow 8'  is priceless!

Please add your likes/gripes, what you would like to see improved.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Behringer Flow 8 Mixer Notes
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 07:04:57 PM »

⦁   Only two XLRs have phantom.  More phantom would require a bigger power supply.

The max current of phantom power is 10mA at 48 volts. (actual spec is 7mA)  Translate that to 5 volts, and you're at .096amps maximum per channel, so enabling phantom power would have a maximum extra current draw of .192 amps, worst case scenario.  I'm guessing the power supply wasn't the primary deciding factor in only having phantom on 2 of the channels.
Brian Jojade

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 07:06:20 PM »

The only time I tried to use mine, I hadn't downloaded the app, so some basic features were not available. 
But I brought a different small analog mixer, so the show went on.
Had I done 5 min of research ahead of time, it would have been fine.
I still like it.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Nick Houweling

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 07:53:14 PM »

I read your notes on the Flow8 forum so I went and checked all my channels and all my channels are fully adjustable in range and I don't notice any noise increase they are totally quite. Especially checked ch 3 & 4 to make sure they didn't change and they have the full gain control without any noise same as ch 1 & 2. the only thing I can think of is that I purchased mine before covid-19 which may have been original stock. So somethings may be going on with the later model. I saw that behringer was not interested in doing anything about this but this is not acceptable if mine is fine. You might be able to sway them with my findings.
Hop they sort this out because it definitely appears to be a fault.

Nate Zifra

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2022, 09:34:16 AM »

I only had my Flow for about less than 2 months, only used in action one time.  No complaints for what it is, but I had the Mini USB connector (the power input) break off of the board.  No hard use, just went to unplug the cable and the whole port came with it. 

Sweetwater, to their credit, are replacing even though it's outside of their 30 day window. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 10:26:53 AM by Nate Zifra »

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 11:13:28 AM »

Hi Folks,

Brian, your post makes me wonder, how close is the factory 5V, 2A power supply to inadequate?

Nick, thanks for posting that your unit is quiet.  Now I wonder if there's a batch of defective mixers out there?

Nate, thanks for pointing out the power connector issue, and glad to hear Sweetwater took care of you. 
There is a strain-relief cable holder on the back of the unit, but it sounds like this wouldn't have been helpful for you.
My connector appears to be reasonably solid.

Another plus of this mixer is the possibility of running it off a USB powerbank, eliminating the need for a battery backup UPS.
Make sure the powerbank can do a stiff 5V @ 2A...

I have a battery-powered device with two very nice, preamps with phantom, that can bring the XLR channel count up to six.
But it seems a bit silly to carry extra stuff with this mixer.  If it fits the needs of an event, great.  If not, bring a bigger mixer.

Anybody savvy enough to answer this question?:
Can a phone be connected to the Flow 8 with Bluetooth and running the app, and
a second device connect to the phone over WiFi and do screen mirroring control of the mixer through the phone?

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2022, 11:15:29 AM »

I only had my Flow for about less than 2 months, only used in action one time.  No complaints for what it is, but I had the Mini USB connector (the power input) break off of the board.  No hard use, just went to unplug the cable and the whole port came with it. 

Sweetwater, to their credit, are replacing even though it's outside of their 30 day window.

Pro'ish equipment that uses the mini USB connector for power is a major design fail, it's not a matter of if but when it will break.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2022, 12:45:02 PM »

Brian, your post makes me wonder, how close is the factory 5V, 2A power supply to inadequate?
---

Anybody savvy enough to answer this question?:
Can a phone be connected to the Flow 8 with Bluetooth and running the app, and
a second device connect to the phone over WiFi and do screen mirroring control of the mixer through the phone?

Theoretically, with Android devices, you could create a cluster such as this and have remote access to your android from another device.  Lots can go wrong with it though, and I most certainly would NOT recommend that.  With iPhones, it's simply not an option on non-jailbroken devices.

If I recall correctly, the standard spec for Micro USB had a maximum current rating of 2 amps, although later versions allowed 3 amps max.

It's surprising that they went with the microUSB connector in a new design, as USB-C is clearly the current replacement and would have been more forward thinking.  It would also allow much more current available with appropriate supplies if necessary.  I'm guessing that USB-C would have added a nickel or 2 to the cost, so to hit their pricepoint, they used older technology.
Brian Jojade

Daniel Levi

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2022, 02:57:45 PM »

If I recall correctly, the standard spec for Micro USB had a maximum current rating of 2 amps, although later versions allowed 3 amps max.

It's surprising that they went with the microUSB connector in a new design, as USB-C is clearly the current replacement and would have been more forward thinking.  It would also allow much more current available with appropriate supplies if necessary.  I'm guessing that USB-C would have added a nickel or 2 to the cost, so to hit their pricepoint, they used older technology.

On the mini synths they've teased they have swapped the micro-USB for USB-C following comments on FB.
I believe regular USB goes up to 2.1A as that's what my power banks are rated for, with one of them being 2.1A for micro-USB in and regular USB out and 3A 5V in/out for the USB-C port. I suppose micro-USB is easier to integrate than USB-C, though on a device like this the extra cost shouldn't be an issue. At least the mini-USB PSU supplied seems to be a decent one, certainly larger than a lot of similarly rated USB PSU's. 

Of course in europe USB-C will become the standard for most things so I expect the use of older USB connector standards to diminish, esp. as the backward compatibility with USB means that passive adaptors can be used as necessary.   

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2022, 04:49:45 PM »

Pro'ish equipment that uses the mini USB connector for power is a major design fail, it's not a matter of if but when it will break.

+100 on that.. USB connectors are my pet peave because there always seems to be one somewhere on something I own that is acting up. I don't mind the idea of having the option to power a piece oquipment from a power pack but it can't be the only way... there has to be something more robust. Another plus for USB-C is that it is a symetrcial connector and can be inserted in either orientation, I have damaged every other connector type at one time or another jaming a cable in the wrong way.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2022, 04:49:45 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.