ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 or 3 mixing desks into one amplifier  (Read 2830 times)

David Aberdeen

2 or 3 mixing desks into one amplifier
« on: November 20, 2022, 06:39:53 AM »

We have a setup at church that requires 2, possibly 3 audio mixing desks to go together into one amp!  The space is shared by several groups, and they have separate mixing desks.  Only one mixing desk will be used at a time, but they all need to share the main amp and speakers.  Currently this is resolved by unplugging and reconfiguring the amps, but we need a solution that doesn't involve unplugging anything, and without manual switching.

I am imagining a simple 2 into 1 stereo mixer - 4 XLR input and 2 XLR output.  Then a similar box at another location in the building, so that a mixing desk can be attached at the other location.  Passive mixers are a possibility, but I assume active mixers will give a better result, for sound quality, and maintaining signal levels through the system.

I've looked, but can't find a box that will do this, unless I get two mono mixers.  My other alternative might be to build it, but that will be a lot of extra work.

Anyone know where I could buy such a box?  Any potential problems with this setup?  Alternative solutions?

Thanks.  :)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: 2 or 3 mixing desks into one amplifier
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 08:41:51 AM »

We have a setup at church that requires 2, possibly 3 audio mixing desks to go together into one amp!  The space is shared by several groups, and they have separate mixing desks.  Only one mixing desk will be used at a time, but they all need to share the main amp and speakers.  Currently this is resolved by unplugging and reconfiguring the amps, but we need a solution that doesn't involve unplugging anything, and without manual switching.

I am imagining a simple 2 into 1 stereo mixer - 4 XLR input and 2 XLR output.  Then a similar box at another location in the building, so that a mixing desk can be attached at the other location.  Passive mixers are a possibility, but I assume active mixers will give a better result, for sound quality, and maintaining signal levels through the system.

I've looked, but can't find a box that will do this, unless I get two mono mixers.  My other alternative might be to build it, but that will be a lot of extra work.

Anyone know where I could buy such a box?  Any potential problems with this setup?  Alternative solutions?

You can do this with any small format mixer just like you said, but that opens you up to some potential issues should some "helpful" person decide to tweak the setup unbeknownst to you.

The better option is to get one of the very many DSP's on the market that can handle your input/output needs then make it a simple switcher. You can then recall presets (desk 1, desk 2, etc) via the front panel, or by whatever button widget that particular DSP can use. Most will support simple contact closures (spst momentary switches for example). This would allow you to simply press a button and recall the proper preset for the desk you are using.

Clearly this is barely scratching the surface as to what the DSP can be used for, but you can start here and grow if you need to.

Maybe the spanish service wants a different EQ curve? Maybe the modern service needs to be limited so they don't blow up the rig again? You can do it all through the DSP and save it to their preset.....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 10:46:23 AM »

There are various and fairly easy ways to switch multiple mixers to feed one common main PA but what about any stage monitoring mixes and possible other needed output mixes?

Matthias McCready

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 12:57:37 PM »

There are lots of solutions that do what you speak, however many of them cost as much as decent quality digital console.

---

So I would ask, why not all just use a single console?

I am going to leap to the assumption that all three desks might be analog?? If you had a digital desk, each church can have their own showfile (many desks can have passwords for a showfile, or you could always keep backup files on a USB stick).

---

I know sharing a space can be difficult, however I have actually had this work out quite well for many smaller churches. Where I built a standard showfile (something that made sense and I could teach) for groups that didn't know much I did that, or built them a baby-session. For groups that knew a little more I would stop by for an hour or two and help them build out what was needed, or answer questions about how to navigate the console. I also available by phone when needed, which gave them "support," and allowed me to keep tabs on how the system was being used.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 11:21:55 PM »

How about a simple old school TRS patchbay? You would just have to label it clearly and teach each crew how to move the 2 patch cable input plugs from the output jacks from one mixer over to the output jacks from another mixer, before turning on the amplifier. Lots of unused channels on a rackmount patchbay but patchbays are cheap.

Thomas Le

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 05:13:54 PM »

Ditto on why not just use a single mixer? Would imagine it being time intensive to rerun the wires every single week and check monitor mixes when everything is all there already, just need to recall your particular settings.

How about a simple old school TRS patchbay? You would just have to label it clearly and teach each crew how to move the 2 patch cable input plugs from the output jacks from one mixer over to the output jacks from another mixer, before turning on the amplifier. Lots of unused channels on a rackmount patchbay but patchbays are cheap.

This is probably a bad idea if they forget to mute the speaker outputs when they unplug and plug in the TRS patchbay. Welp there goes the drivers... People can be forgetful.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2022, 12:52:35 PM »

The better option is to get one of the very many DSP's on the market that can handle your input/output needs then make it a simple switcher. You can then recall presets (desk 1, desk 2, etc) via the front panel, or by whatever button widget that particular DSP can use. Most will support simple contact closures (spst momentary switches for example). This would allow you to simply press a button and recall the proper preset for the desk you are using.

This is the right way to do it.  QSys, Xilica, A&H AHM even, Biamp Tesira, and others are all made exactly for this. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2022, 03:02:43 PM »

APB-DynaSonics had a line called MixSwitch designed for exactly this.  I can't get to their website to see if it's even a current product.  The DSP solutions above are a better way to go, once programmed.  The MixSwitch is very simple, but kind of spendy.
This space for rent

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2022, 03:35:06 PM »

This is the right way to do it.  QSys, Xilica, A&H AHM even, Biamp Tesira, and others are all made exactly for this.
The side benefit is that you can also use the system with… wait for it…. No mixer!  Want to use a wireless mic without calling in any crew, easy!   Turn on the radio for the cleaning staff? just hit the radio button on the wall controller.  Automatically start background music at 8 am every morning? Done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

David Aberdeen

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2022, 07:01:48 AM »

Thanks, I'll look into DSPs, although we would need several, and with a similar budget we could probably upgrade to a digital desk and bypass all the issues (see below).  We do have a DSP for management of the speakers, but it only has one input.  :(   I did build a couple of passive mixers this week, and they kind of work, but the sound quality is affected, so they aren't useable.  I still have some fiddling to do and may end up turning them into active mixers.

As for sharing equipment, yes, that would be ideal and would save a lot of hassle, but there's history and politics involved there, and our main desk is analog.  There are some tech wizzes who use all the settings and reconfigure things as they need it, and then there's the 90 year old operators who come in on Sunday morning and don't have the skills to get the system back to their 'normal'.  The different systems are also connected to different streaming setups - again it would be great to share, but reconfiguring streaming keys is beyond some of the operators.

Thanks everyone for the info.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2022, 07:01:48 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.