ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: cable labels  (Read 4188 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: cable labels
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2022, 03:56:28 AM »

Not to throw a topic swerve in, but does anyone know of an "industry standard" for color-coding cable lengths?

I can tell my own cables by eye knowing what lengths I have in inventory, but if I color-code I'd like to go with the philosophy that others have already adopted.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2022, 09:23:29 AM »

Not to throw a topic swerve in, but does anyone know of an "industry standard" for color-coding cable lengths?

I can tell my own cables by eye knowing what lengths I have in inventory, but if I color-code I'd like to go with the philosophy that others have already adopted.

You'll get tons of opinions on this, including whether or not you should even have a large variety of lengths in inventory, but I like using resistor code. Black(no label)/Brown/Red/Yellow/Green/Blue/etc, going up in length. In our case, we did 1/3/5/10/25/50/100.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2022, 09:25:32 AM »

I'll have to look when I go to the PAC today, but with rigging wire rope slings - red is 5', white is 10', 20' are blue, 30' are green (IIRC).

We went to velcro tabs for mic cables and "our guy" used black for 25' cables, red for 10' or shorter, and black for 50' (easy to tell, they're the fattest bundles.

When I was operating my own shop I had 2 lengths of mic cables - 35' and 10'.  Maybe a couple of 100' for outdoor stuff.  Never saw the benefit to having a bunch of cables in 5 ft increments or having 7 different lengths for stage use in inventory.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Helmke

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2022, 10:02:27 AM »

Never saw the benefit to having a bunch of cables in 5 ft increments or having 7 different lengths for stage use in inventory.

We have a length known as "less than 25", which is any cable between 4' and 24' long.  Most of them were originally longer cables that got damaged.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2022, 11:26:13 AM »

Update: I found this stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058SPZXQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Put regular water resistant laser printed labels on cable, tape over it with this. It looks just like shrink tubing over the same labels, we'll see how long it lasts or how long it takes to turn into goo.

Seemed to be too good to be true.  Actual usage/performance outlined in the question and answer section.

Question: Will this tape work on a frayed electrical cord and can I use a heat gun on it?
Answer: This tape is designed to be applied to any holes created during the shrink wrapping process. It is also used to secure any seams or pleats. The tape is applied after the shrinking process has occurred. The tape itself DOES NOT shrink and can burn.
By Shrinkthat SELLER  on November 15, 2016

(sigh...)

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2022, 11:54:19 AM »

Remember the “Roy G Biv” moniker for the colors in visual-light spectrum?

Red = 10’
  Orange (can’t find any orange Velcro strips we use to color code our cables)
  Yellow = 15’
  Green = a few 20’
  Blue = a ton of 25’ we needed before installation of built-in up/downstage drop snakes
  Indigo = 30’

This works for us.
..db

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2022, 07:10:45 PM »

Remember the “Roy G Biv” moniker for the colors in visual-light spectrum?

Red = 10’
  Orange (can’t find any orange Velcro strips we use to color code our cables)
  Yellow = 15’
  Green = a few 20’
  Blue = a ton of 25’ we needed before installation of built-in up/downstage drop snakes
  Indigo = 30’

This works for us.

Politics has kinda eliminated that referenced as the LBQT etc. community has adopted that moniker.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2022, 08:44:02 PM »

As you can see by the replies, there are tons of standards... ;-)

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2022, 08:46:16 PM »

Seemed to be too good to be true.  Actual usage/performance outlined in the question and answer section.

Question: Will this tape work on a frayed electrical cord and can I use a heat gun on it?
Answer: This tape is designed to be applied to any holes created during the shrink wrapping process. It is also used to secure any seams or pleats. The tape is applied after the shrinking process has occurred. The tape itself DOES NOT shrink and can burn.
By Shrinkthat SELLER  on November 15, 2016

(sigh...)
I'm finding that it doesn't really need to shrink. If you wrap it tightly, it's as though it has been shrunk. It is as clear as clear shrink, and the seam is difficult to find after application. It kind of marries to itself. So far I like it.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2022, 09:38:19 AM »

I use these on everything. I love them.

I have my logo & phone number and print out a few pages every time I need some more cable labels.

They are very durable.

I plan on going back through to add a second label with the cable length on it (05, 10, 15, 25, 50, 75, 100)

HellermannTyton TAG64L-105 Self Laminating Laser Tags 1000 pk. 1.17in X .83in X 3.33in

https://www.markertek.com/product/tag64l-105/hellermanntyton-tag64l-105-self-laminating-laser-tags-1000-pk-1-17in-x-83in-x-3-33in
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2022, 09:38:19 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.