ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: cable labels  (Read 4195 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: cable labels
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2022, 11:55:35 PM »

I appreciate the input!  I like the resistor coloring philosophy and will probably go with that.  I'm with everyone else here that I don't keep oddball lengths of cable - above "patch" length it's either 25ft, 50ft, or 100ft.  I know some lighting techs that keep DMX cable in the same lengths as their Soca which is sometimes in multiples of 8, but that isn't me... 

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2022, 06:56:34 PM »

{...} I know some lighting techs that keep DMX cable {...} in multiples of 8, {...}

This is how Christie Lites does all their cables (IIRC 4', 8', 16', 24', 48', 96', and maybe 144' or 192'?); the best explanation I ever received (which doesn't typically apply so much to our department) is that the vast majority of their truss is 8' long, so their cable lenghts are in 8' multiples to match.

-Russ

ETA: Christie also uses resistor code for its cable labels (see page 3).

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2022, 03:20:31 PM »

We used a mix of IEC colors and red, white & blue which we had started with back in the dark ages. We didn't go into combinations of colors below 100ft. For things like 250 ft we used red + blue, our 2 and 5 indicators. Had to rely on the crew not to mix up 25 for 250  ::)  What helped a lot was putting a color print out in the lid of every case detailing what the color marking scheme was.

Did a show earlier in the week with a shop that had no length markings on their cables and after decades of having that spelled out it made for some minor frustrations so I suspect you will be happier for the change.

I appreciate the input!  I like the resistor coloring philosophy and will probably go with that.  I'm with everyone else here that I don't keep oddball lengths of cable - above "patch" length it's either 25ft, 50ft, or 100ft.  I know some lighting techs that keep DMX cable in the same lengths as their Soca which is sometimes in multiples of 8, but that isn't me...

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2022, 05:45:29 PM »

At my venue, we settled on:
- Blue: 15ft and under
- Green: 25ft
- Red: 50ft
- Yellow: 100ft
- Orange: 200ft
- Purple: 300ft/100m

I’ve found there’s enough “obvious” differentiation between colors and wrap sizes that even if the colors aren’t immediately discernible, one can tell a cable length fairly easily.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Palmer Jankens

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2023, 03:40:06 PM »

Hello,

I found the "Mr. Label" brand on Amazon works very well when you want to label but not remove the connectors. Plus they're sold in most "cable length" colors and are printable sheets so you can put any graphic you can imagine on them. Once you get the template set you're in business. LINKY THING

If the link doesn't work, search for "Printable self-laminating label sheets" or "Mr. Label Self Laminating" and you should find some great options.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 11:28:19 PM by Mac Kerr »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re:Posting Rules
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2023, 11:29:49 PM »

Hello,

I found the "Mr. Label" brand on Amazon works very well when you want to label but not remove the connectors. Plus they're sold in most "cable length" colors and are printable sheets so you can put any graphic you can imagine on them. Once you get the template set you're in business. LINKY THING

If the link doesn't work, search for "Printable self-laminating label sheets" or "Mr. Label Self Laminating" and you should find some great options.

Please go to your profile and change your name to your real full name as required by the posting rules.

Mac
admin

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2023, 07:32:10 PM »

I'm finding that it doesn't really need to shrink. If you wrap it tightly, it's as though it has been shrunk. It is as clear as clear shrink, and the seam is difficult to find after application. It kind of marries to itself. So far I like it.

UPDATE:
The goo that is created from this tape in the heat is a deal breaker. I just removed it from a BUNCH of cables, and subsequently removed the goo from the cables, as well. Agh!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2023, 07:32:10 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.