ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: USB-C video out and in options  (Read 7047 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: USB-C video out and in options
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2023, 01:31:54 PM »

"Hey I'm about to go on, you can just use my laptop for my presentation, it's all ready to go"

Morgan Freeman voice : "but it was not, in fact, all ready to go"

At least you're getting laptops.  Getting people with stuff only on their phones is now becoming commonplace.  'Just plug it in...'
Brian Jojade

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2023, 12:13:20 PM »

That's the dream. I have a bunch of smaller corpy shows where the client wants to use their own presentation laptop because the CEO is editing his deck right up until the morning of the presentation. I try to get media in advance for prep but the curve balls keep coming.

"Hey I'm about to go on, you can just use my laptop for my presentation, it's all ready to go"

Morgan Freeman voice : "but it was not, in fact, all ready to go"

My inclination is for such folks to OWN THEIR OWN F'ING FAILURES, but then the tech crew gets blamed.  The other thing is to have the company's meeting coordinator push back on the executives:  "we MUST have the final version of your deck by 6pm the night before so it can be thoroughly checked and all elements verified."

Had a client situation in another country where the presenter did not provide the PP deck in advance and the embedded videos would not play correctly on the AV computers (testing 15 minutes before "GO" time), so the presenter used his own laptop.  "Audio is mono" he said.  What he didn't say was that it was on the RIGHT channel, not the default left channel, and he's on stage in front of 500 people, with a similar on-line audience, and he has no audio passing.

And the whole thing gets blamed on the AV crew, not the presenter who did not comply with any of the requests to make damn sure his shit worked.  Appearing to graciously accept the blame is why I raised my AV day rate AGAIN this year and I still get work.  I guess I need to add another "0" to the left of the decimal.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 12:16:11 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2023, 07:28:16 PM »

My inclination is for such folks to OWN THEIR OWN F'ING FAILURES, but then the tech crew gets blamed.  The other thing is to have the company's meeting coordinator push back on the executives:  "we MUST have the final version of your deck by 6pm the night before so it can be thoroughly checked and all elements verified."

Had a client situation in another country where the presenter did not provide the PP deck in advance and the embedded videos would not play correctly on the AV computers (testing 15 minutes before "GO" time), so the presenter used his own laptop.  "Audio is mono" he said.  What he didn't say was that it was on the RIGHT channel, not the default left channel, and he's on stage in front of 500 people, with a similar on-line audience, and he has no audio passing.

And the whole thing gets blamed on the AV crew, not the presenter who did not comply with any of the requests to make damn sure his shit worked.  Appearing to graciously accept the blame is why I raised my AV day rate AGAIN this year and I still get work.  I guess I need to add another "0" to the left of the decimal.
Yes to all of this.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2023, 04:25:56 PM »

I really enjoy the "The PP videos work fine on my machine." That's because you have the videos on your hard drive. You can't just send the PP without the videos and expect it to work.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2023, 07:42:50 PM »

If you've got HDMI cables "falling out" of the Constellation I submit the connectors have been abused or used beyond their rated insertion life cycle.

One solution is to build a patch bay so the cables stay plugged into the Constellation, and you replace the patch bay HDMI jacks when they get loose.   Also common on cameras (esp Mini HDMI and mini XLR and mini-everything else).  Cage the camera and use short patch cables affixed to the cage.

The Constellation is all SDI, the HDMI running from sources to SDI converters are the issue. Largely because HDMI cables are stiff. I feel like a BNC in a rack is tough to break so a patch panel is low priority.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2023, 10:25:02 PM »

There are decent quality thin HDMIs available for short runs, like from a converter.
For long runs, I use HDMI fiber.  Also not stiff.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2023, 10:25:02 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.