ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: USB-C video out and in options  (Read 6908 times)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
Re: USB-C video out and in options
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2022, 01:04:11 PM »

Something like this with an SDI converter on the output, I would guess.

Or maybe a Roland?

I already have an ATEM Constellation switcher that works great along with a bunch of HDMI>SDI black magic and decimator converters. I'm trying to eliminate HDMI from the equation, as the plugs keep falling out.

Looking for something that goes direct from USB to SDI.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Jon Dees

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2022, 01:55:56 PM »

As previously mentioned, the USB/DisplayLink to SDI box from PTZCam is about all I know of there. DisplayLink means I wouldn't consider that a mission critical box for clients you want to appear professional with.

I don't know a lot of firms with USB-C inlets besides the big A/V firms like Atlona and Kramer.

Atlona and Gefen, at least, have supplied me with HDMI cables with screws on the top for those holes in that linked box.

I already have an ATEM Constellation switcher that works great along with a bunch of HDMI>SDI black magic and decimator converters. I'm trying to eliminate HDMI from the equation, as the plugs keep falling out.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2022, 10:39:47 AM »

I have rarely if ever had an HDMI connector issue, but that usb-c is awful.  Just a slight vibration causes those to flake out -accompanied by the desktop reconfiguring itself back to single display.  That is the connector I wish would just go away forever, HDMI in all it's crappiness appears as rock-solid compared to that POS.
Unfortunately producers keep insisting on using Keynote so I'm often stuck with a macbook.  I've rackmounted a Mac-mini just to have a native HDMI port but then your stuck with a mini-displayport for your local display and those are only marginally better than a usb-c.  (and it looks like new ones have gone all usb-c now)
I've given up on fighting HDMI, seems like the least robust connector is now a pro video standard.  With the right thinner cables they can be marginally tolerable or at best, the least of your worries. 
If you have them falling out frequently you may have issues with the jack itself from prior abuse.  Try another device and use a port-saver pigtail if necessary. 
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2022, 12:03:04 AM »

The solution to Keynote is to ask for deliverables rendered to PDF. This fixes issues with missing fonts and images and Acrobat has a presentation full screen mode that works like powerpoint.

I have rarely if ever had an HDMI connector issue, but that usb-c is awful.  Just a slight vibration causes those to flake out -accompanied by the desktop reconfiguring itself back to single display.  That is the connector I wish would just go away forever, HDMI in all it's crappiness appears as rock-solid compared to that POS.
Unfortunately producers keep insisting on using Keynote so I'm often stuck with a macbook.  I've rackmounted a Mac-mini just to have a native HDMI port but then your stuck with a mini-displayport for your local display and those are only marginally better than a usb-c.  (and it looks like new ones have gone all usb-c now)
I've given up on fighting HDMI, seems like the least robust connector is now a pro video standard.  With the right thinner cables they can be marginally tolerable or at best, the least of your worries. 
If you have them falling out frequently you may have issues with the jack itself from prior abuse.  Try another device and use a port-saver pigtail if necessary.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2023, 12:08:21 AM »

If you've got HDMI cables "falling out" of the Constellation I submit the connectors have been abused or used beyond their rated insertion life cycle.

One solution is to build a patch bay so the cables stay plugged into the Constellation, and you replace the patch bay HDMI jacks when they get loose.   Also common on cameras (esp Mini HDMI and mini XLR and mini-everything else).  Cage the camera and use short patch cables affixed to the cage.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2023, 11:56:17 AM »

The solution to Keynote is to ask for deliverables rendered to PDF. This fixes issues with missing fonts and images and Acrobat has a presentation full screen mode that works like powerpoint.
Just tried this based on your suggestion because I use acrobat daily and if you're already subscribed then might as well use it more.

Discovered the slides were mostly animation loop movies with sequential build-ins and outs.  Tried loading all the raw components into a media server but it more than quadrupled my workload and cue-load!

So suddenly decided that I can tolerate Keynote on a dedicated Mac, so insisting now that deliverables include a turnkey pre-loaded Mac mini, that fortunately for now still have a native HDMI port, a native ethernet jack, a genuine 1/8" analog audio hole and still fit nicely into the open half of my Sonnet rack-mac unit. 
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2023, 10:56:07 PM »

If you've got HDMI cables "falling out" of the Constellation I submit the connectors have been abused or used beyond their rated insertion life cycle.

One solution is to build a patch bay so the cables stay plugged into the Constellation, and you replace the patch bay HDMI jacks when they get loose.   Also common on cameras (esp Mini HDMI and mini XLR and mini-everything else).  Cage the camera and use short patch cables affixed to the cage.

The Constellation has SDI I/O only, there's no issue there. I already use short cables on my cams to jump to SDI converters.

The HDMI that are falling out are from my brand new M1 MacBook pro with on board HDMI and various client provided dongles.

The entire purpose of this thread is finding a better way to get video out to SDI from a laptop. I don't always have the option of using my own computers, either.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2023, 12:49:09 PM »

I have Radial USB Pro on the way. I am specifically trying to eliminate HDMI from the video equation, as I keep having problems with the non-locking connectors working their way loose at inopportune times. Someone bumps a laptop and the signal goes out, it's not a good look

Moving from a non-locking HDMI connector to a non-locking USB-C connector that may be running different protocols for different things is just moving the problem, not really solving it.

As far as HDMI cables coming loose, I've found that more often to be a problem with big fat stiff HDMI cables.  Yes, any movement of the laptop then can mean the connection can work loose easily if the laptop or cable get moved.  The solution is a short ultra-thin, ultra flexible HDMI extension cable that's a couple feet long.  A piece of gaff can keep it secure if needed, but because it's much more flexible, movement of your laptop is much less likely to result in a dropped connection.

This is a $10 fix to your problem.
Brian Jojade

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2023, 09:15:29 AM »

Friends don't let friends use laptops in mission critical production roles.  I'm a firm believer in rack mount computers with patch bays in the rack.  The life-limited connectors on the computer seldom get unplugged this way and if a patch bay connector fails, you just replace it and not the whole computer.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2023, 12:17:40 PM »

Friends don't let friends use laptops in mission critical production roles.  I'm a firm believer in rack mount computers with patch bays in the rack.  The life-limited connectors on the computer seldom get unplugged this way and if a patch bay connector fails, you just replace it and not the whole computer.

That's the dream. I have a bunch of smaller corpy shows where the client wants to use their own presentation laptop because the CEO is editing his deck right up until the morning of the presentation. I try to get media in advance for prep but the curve balls keep coming.

"Hey I'm about to go on, you can just use my laptop for my presentation, it's all ready to go"

Morgan Freeman voice : "but it was not, in fact, all ready to go"
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2023, 12:17:40 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.