Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

Can't get my head around light boards

<< < (2/3) > >>

John L Nobile:
I managed to get my settings loaded in. Not entirely sure how it happened but I think it had something to do with loading a backup from a USB stick.

Now to get back to sound for this weekend.

Tommy Nikiforov:

--- Quote from: John L Nobile on November 10, 2022, 01:21:45 PM ---I managed to get my settings loaded in. Not entirely sure how it happened but I think it had something to do with loading a backup from a USB stick.

Now to get back to sound for this weekend.

--- End quote ---

Setting files transfer over with showfiles , but you can also import your own settings in setup - view settings - import settings.
Always worth having your own separate settings file on a stick to use on any other chamsys desk you come across.
not ALL settings move over though, settings with a small red flag in the settings window are desk dependent not showfile dependent.

Brian Jojade:

--- Quote from: Erik Jerde on November 09, 2022, 04:41:24 PM ---Lighting is a real PITA compared to audio though, don't feel bad for not being able to get your head around it.  Where on an audio desk the same concepts pretty much always apply across brands lighting is just the wild west.  You can be a world class pro on one brand of lighting console but if you're put in front of another one that you've never seen before you'll be pretty much lost.  At least with audio if you're high level competent on one modern desk you can usually figure out how to be productive on pretty much any other modern console out there.  I've run lights using many of the major player desks and the knowledge almost never transfers from one to another.  Sound is just so much easier, I've never had a problem walking up to a digital audio console and getting it to do what I wanted.

--- End quote ---

Yep, Every lighting console is different.  There are a few common ones out there, but the way they work is all VERY different.  Which ones are the easiest to use depends on how similar your brain functions to the engineering team that designed that console.

They all mostly do the same things, but some I find infuriating to use compared to others. Other LDs think the ones I like are impossible and they love the ones I hate.

Trying to learn multiple consoles is mind numbing at best.  I guess that's why I'm stuck still using my Avolites Roll-a-Cue pearl from 1998. :)

Tommy Nikiforov:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on November 11, 2022, 01:07:55 PM ---Yep, Every lighting console is different.  There are a few common ones out there, but the way they work is all VERY different.  Which ones are the easiest to use depends on how similar your brain functions to the engineering team that designed that console.

They all mostly do the same things, but some I find infuriating to use compared to others. Other LDs think the ones I like are impossible and they love the ones I hate.

Trying to learn multiple consoles is mind numbing at best.  I guess that's why I'm stuck still using my Avolites Roll-a-Cue pearl from 1998. :)

--- End quote ---

well, most modern consoles use the same preset/palette based workflow so thats a commonality across most of em, different names in different places but the functionality is more or less the same be it ChamSys , MA, Hog or Avolites

James Feenstra:

--- Quote from: John L Nobile on November 09, 2022, 10:50:19 AM ---I recently upgraded my GrandMA on PC with 2 touch screen monitors. I had it programmed by a good friend of mine so that I could busk it. Was working pretty good for a few years. Other LD's have used it and it all worked fine afterwards for me. After the last LD used it, my faders wings (2) no longer address the fixtures that I normally use. I don't know what changed. I thought saved programs would be the same when recalled but apparently, they're not.
--- End quote ---
sounds like they saved over your show file, or the console is loading the show file they used. Should be easy enough to re-load a previous backup (assuming one exists)

--- Quote ---So now I have to learn how to program the board. I can easily wrap my head around digital soundboards, DAW's, pretty much any audio related program. But when it comes to lighting, I just can't wrap my head around it. Guess I have to think differently to figure it out.

On to YouTube video land. If anyone has any advice on programming this board or why changes made by another LD changed things for me (I loaded a file from a backup not on the computer), I'm all ears.

--- End quote ---
lightingtrainer.com has some good resources;
https://lightingtrainer.com/consoles/ma-lighting-and-act-lighting/

Alternatively I know a guy who hasn't been up your way in a while but has some free time in December ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version