Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

Brackets

(1/2) > >>

John M. Roll:
I purchased some cheap led spots. Needless to say, the quality isn't very good. The fixtures work fine, but the mounting brackets (yolks?)are paper thin and have crumpled after an accident in the trailer. Does anyone know where to get some brackets made or a source for something similar. I could probably make them myself, but I'm not sure where to get the material. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
John

Scott Hofmann:
I would suggest going to your favorite hardware store and finding some 1/16" thick flat steel the same width as the original "yoke"
(a "yolk" is the yellow part of an egg). If you don't have a source to heat it for bending, you can reasonably hammer it to a right angle
when clamped in a good bench vise. If you have quite a few to do, you could contact a local welding shop. If you know someone at a vo-tech
welding program or theatre department, they might be able to help you out if you offer to barter services.

Jeff Lelko:
For generic-enough parts like this I usually dig through the various lighting parts sites to find something suitable.

Perhaps this will work?

Scott’s solution is by far the cheapest, but if looks matter I’d go for a legit replacement part.  Hope this helps!

duane massey:
Any metal/fab shop can make these out of flat stock. Where are you located?

John M. Roll:

--- Quote from: Scott Hofmann on November 07, 2022, 09:51:24 PM ---I would suggest going to your favorite hardware store and finding some 1/16" thick flat steel the same width as the original "yoke"
(a "yolk" is the yellow part of an egg). If you don't have a source to heat it for bending, you can reasonably hammer it to a right angle
when clamped in a good bench vise. If you have quite a few to do, you could contact a local welding shop. If you know someone at a vo-tech
welding program or theatre department, they might be able to help you out if you offer to barter services.

--- End quote ---

I knew the yolk/yoke thing but did it anyway. Thanks for the input.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version