ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brackets  (Read 1945 times)

John M. Roll

Brackets
« on: November 07, 2022, 08:52:30 PM »

I purchased some cheap led spots. Needless to say, the quality isn't very good. The fixtures work fine, but the mounting brackets (yolks?)are paper thin and have crumpled after an accident in the trailer. Does anyone know where to get some brackets made or a source for something similar. I could probably make them myself, but I'm not sure where to get the material. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
John

Scott Hofmann

Re: Brackets
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 09:51:24 PM »

I would suggest going to your favorite hardware store and finding some 1/16" thick flat steel the same width as the original "yoke"
(a "yolk" is the yellow part of an egg). If you don't have a source to heat it for bending, you can reasonably hammer it to a right angle
when clamped in a good bench vise. If you have quite a few to do, you could contact a local welding shop. If you know someone at a vo-tech
welding program or theatre department, they might be able to help you out if you offer to barter services.
Scott Hofmann

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 11:15:45 PM »

For generic-enough parts like this I usually dig through the various lighting parts sites to find something suitable.

Perhaps this will work?

Scott’s solution is by far the cheapest, but if looks matter I’d go for a legit replacement part.  Hope this helps!

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 11:46:18 PM »

Any metal/fab shop can make these out of flat stock. Where are you located?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

John M. Roll

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 10:52:22 AM »

I would suggest going to your favorite hardware store and finding some 1/16" thick flat steel the same width as the original "yoke"
(a "yolk" is the yellow part of an egg). If you don't have a source to heat it for bending, you can reasonably hammer it to a right angle
when clamped in a good bench vise. If you have quite a few to do, you could contact a local welding shop. If you know someone at a vo-tech
welding program or theatre department, they might be able to help you out if you offer to barter services.

I knew the yolk/yoke thing but did it anyway. Thanks for the input.

John M. Roll

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 08:47:31 PM »

Any metal/fab shop can make these out of flat stock. Where are you located?

Endicott, NY

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2022, 01:23:33 AM »

I purchased some cheap led spots. Needless to say, the quality isn't very good. The fixtures work fine, but the mounting brackets (yolks?)are paper thin and have crumpled after an accident in the trailer. Does anyone know where to get some brackets made or a source for something similar. I could probably make them myself, but I'm not sure where to get the material. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
John

If these are flying overhead be aware of the increased liability that will come with using DIY or otherwise unrated mounting solutions.  Make sure your safety is solid.  If the safety attachment point is the yoke in question then you’re kinda screwed.  If it fails it’s all on you, no mfgr rated hardware to point at.

Paul Johnson

• Currently - Lowestoft - UK
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2022, 03:04:40 AM »

Adjustable shelving. The workshop style stuff. The ones you build yourself. These have perforated strip and are pre drilled, so saw off the right length, bend it and the holes are already there. If you spray them black, nobody will even notice.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2022, 03:04:40 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.