Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Pro AV Forum

Two amps stuck in protect after improper load

(1/1)

CaseyB:
Hello, first post so please forgive me if I'm in the wrong section. Also please refrain from roasting me for my stupid mistake, I know it was dumb.

I recently purchased an Fp14000 clone to power my double 18 subs. the amp claimed 7kw @ 2ohms which should have been plenty for them. Unfortunately, I discovered that the amp is a complete lie, and was objectively less output than the pair of NX-6000s I was running prior. So during the headliner changeover I decided to swap back to my NXs. Everything was sounding great after the swap, however I forgot to uncouple the subs and ended up running a 2 ohm load on the NX, which is not recommended. At one point a drop of water from a water bottle dripped on my ipad and jacked the sub feed to +10db. The subs cut out for about 10 seconds [amp was in protect], then came back after I pulled the feed back. Unfortunately after about a minute the subs dropped back out completely, and when I went back to check the amps they were jsut stuck in protect, and that is what happens now when I turn them on. They power up, the relay clicks and the protect lights turn on.

I'm very good with a soldering iron, so I am positive I can fix them myself (they're out of warranty), but I have no idea where to look for the blown components. I assume I blew an output capacitor, but again, I'm not an electronics engineer, so I could be completely wrong. That's where I'm hoping the forum can help. I understand that it is unlikely someone can diagnose it easily without having the amp in front of them, but I am hoping maybe someone has had this issue before and might know where to start.

Thanks in advance!

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: CaseyB on October 31, 2022, 12:12:00 PM ---Hello, first post so please forgive me if I'm in the wrong section. Also please refrain from roasting me for my stupid mistake, I know it was dumb.

I recently purchased an Fp14000 clone to power my double 18 subs. the amp claimed 7kw @ 2ohms which should have been plenty for them. Unfortunately, I discovered that the amp is a complete lie, and was objectively less output than the pair of NX-6000s I was running prior. So during the headliner changeover I decided to swap back to my NXs. Everything was sounding great after the swap, however I forgot to uncouple the subs and ended up running a 2 ohm load on the NX, which is not recommended. At one point a drop of water from a water bottle dripped on my ipad and jacked the sub feed to +10db. The subs cut out for about 10 seconds [amp was in protect], then came back after I pulled the feed back. Unfortunately after about a minute the subs dropped back out completely, and when I went back to check the amps they were jsut stuck in protect, and that is what happens now when I turn them on. They power up, the relay clicks and the protect lights turn on.

I'm very good with a soldering iron, so I am positive I can fix them myself (they're out of warranty), but I have no idea where to look for the blown components. I assume I blew an output capacitor, but again, I'm not an electronics engineer, so I could be completely wrong. That's where I'm hoping the forum can help. I understand that it is unlikely someone can diagnose it easily without having the amp in front of them, but I am hoping maybe someone has had this issue before and might know where to start.

Thanks in advance!

--- End quote ---
We'd love to help, but you must follow rule 1: your display name must be you real name.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version